The World Is Yours (film)
|The World Is Yours|
|French||Le monde est à toi|
|Directed by||Romain Gavras|
|Edited by||Benjamin Weill|
|Box office||$2.7 million |
The World Is Yours (French: Le Monde est à toi) is a 2018 French comedy film directed by Romain Gavras. It was selected to screen at the Directors' Fortnight section of the 2018 Cannes Film Festival.
The leitmotif is Daniel Balavoine's song "La vie ne m'apprend rien".
François, a small-time drug dealer, dreams of starting a new life as the official distributor of Mr. Freeze ice pops in the Maghreb region. However, he discovers that his mother Dany has lost all his savings gambling. He then tries to start anew by associating with Poutine, the erratic kingpin of the city, for a scheme in Spain. But François's entourage gets involved, which soon disrupts everyone's plans.
- Karim Leklou as François
- Isabelle Adjani as Dany
- Vincent Cassel as Henri
- Oulaya Amamra as Lamya
- François Damiens as René
- Philippe Katerine as Vincent
- Sam Spruell as Bruce
The project was announced on April 25, 2017 by Isabelle Adjani in an interview with Grazia magazine. The actress described it as "pretty crazy" and revealed that Vincent Cassel and Oulaya Amamra would also be involved.
On French website Allociné, the film has a critic approval rating of 3.6/5 based on 34 reviews and a viewer approval rating of 3.5/5. French cultural magazine Les Inrockuptibles review praised the humour and confidence of the director Romain Gavras, comparing the film to Guy Ritchie's early work. In a less enthusiastic review, CinéSéries critic called the plot line "predictable."
Variety critic called the film a "crowd-pleasing Tarantino-esque crime saga." The Guardian review wrote that with this film "Gavras has seized his chance, staging this uptempo, carnivalesque crime pic with panache and wit." IndieWire called the film "the best movie that Guy Ritchie never made."
- "Cannes: Directors' Fortnight unveils 2018 line-up". ScreenDaily.
- "Cannes: Directors' Fortnight Lineup Boasts Colombia's 'Birds of Passage,' Nicolas Cage in 'Mandy'". Variety.
- Maida, Sabine; Azoury, Philippe (April 25, 2017). "Isabelle Adjani: "Ma vie est plus cinématographique que mes films"". Grazia (in French). Retrieved March 24, 2020.
- "Le Monde est à toi". Allociné (in French). Retrieved March 24, 2020.
- Ribeton, Théo (August 10, 2018). ""Le monde est à toi" : Gavras livre un film rempli d'ironie et complètement désarticulé". Les Inrockuptibles (in French). Retrieved March 24, 2020.
- Lê, Corentin (May 14, 2018). "Le Monde est à toi : de Bené à benêt". CinéSéries (in French). Retrieved March 24, 2020.
- Debruge, Peter (13 May 2018). "Film Review: 'The World Is Yours'". IndieWire. Retrieved 23 August 2020.
- Hoad, Phil (25 April 2019). "The World Is Yours review – brash Franco-crime caper". The Guardian. Retrieved 23 August 2020.
- Ehrlich, David (17 July 2020). "Stream of the Day: Ultra-Fun Heist Movie 'The World Is Yours' Is a Timely Reminder Being Selfish Never Pays". IndieWire. Retrieved 23 August 2020.