The Year of Spectacular Men
|The Year of Spectacular Men|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Lea Thompson|
|Written by||Madelyn Deutch|
|Music by||Madelyn Deutch|
|Edited by||Seth Flaum|
|Distributed by||MarVista Entertainment|
The Year of Spectacular Men is a 2017 American comedy-drama film directed by Lea Thompson in her directorial debut. It stars Thompson's daughters Madelyn Deutch (who also wrote the screenplay and composed the score) and Zoey Deutch (who also produced). Thompson's husband Howard Deutch also served as a producer.
The film tells the story of Izzy Klein, a young woman fresh out of college as she strikes up and ruins relationships with several men, and struggles to navigate the failures of post-college adulthood, leaning on her mother and younger sister for support.
- Madelyn Deutch as Izzy Klein, Sabrina's older sister and Deb's daughter.
- Zoey Deutch as Sabrina Klein, Izzy's successful and happy younger sister, Deb's daughter and Sebastian’s girlfriend
- Lea Thompson as Deb Klein, Izzy and Sabrina's mother
- Melissa Bolona as Amythyst Stone
- Avan Jogia as Sebastian Bennett, Sabrina's boyfriend
- Nicholas Braun as Charlie Reed
- Brandon T. Jackson as Logan
- Cameron Monaghan as Ross
- Zach Roerig as Mikey
- Jesse Bradford as Aaron Ezra
- Bob Clendenin as Seven
- Alison Martin as Marg
- Troy Evans as Sketch
- Alec Mapa as Overzealous Casting Director
In September 2015, it was announced that Lea Thompson is making her feature film directorial debut in this film, starring her actress daughters Madelyn Deutch and Zoey Deutch. Filming started later that month in Los Angeles, New York City, Lake Tahoe and San Francisco.
The Year of Spectacular Men is produced by Parkside Pictures and Tadross Media Group. Producers are Parkside's Damiano Tucci and Danny Roth along with Gordon Gilbertson and Howard Deutch; executive producers are Michael Tadross Jr. and Christopher Conover. Zoey also shares the production credit.
The Year of Spectacular Men held its world premiere at the LA Film Festival on June 16, 2017, under the "LA Muse" section. It also had its screenings at the Twin Cities Film Fest, the LA Femme Film Festival and the 20th-anniversary edition of the SCAD Savannah Film Festival in October 2017, and at the Napa Valley Film Festival in November 2017.
In January 2018, MarVista Entertainment acquired distribution rights to the film. The film is scheduled to be released on June 15, 2018. It was released in theaters, on digital HD and through video-on-demand services on June 15, 2018.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 68%, based on 28 reviews, and an average rating of 6.1/10. On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 60 out of 100, based on eight critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
Sheri Linden of The Hollywood Reporter described the film as "smart and vivacious when it isn't trying too hard" and added "for the twentysomethings with whom the movie is sure to click, the sarcastic jabs at such easy targets as health-conscious New Age types might feel fresh rather than strained. But even with the screenplay's sometimes screechy missteps, the Deutch duo hold the screen with charm and intelligence to spare". Scott Menzel of We Live Entertainment wrote that "Madelyn Deutch, Zoey Deutch, and Lea Thompson are a triple threat in this quarter life crisis tale that deserves your attention".
- Olsen, Mark (May 9, 2017). "L.A. Film Festival competition lineups mix familiar faces with fresh discoveries". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved June 14, 2018.
- Russian, Ale (January 31, 2017). "WATCH: Lea Thompson Opens Up About a Possible Back to the Future Remake". People. Retrieved June 14, 2018.
- McNary, Dave (September 18, 2015). "Lea Thompson Directing Daughters in 'Year of Spectacular Men'". Variety. Retrieved June 14, 2018.
- Whitfield, Zoe (June 20, 2017). "Madelyn Deutch on screenwriting debut 'The Year Of Spectacular Men'". Wonderland. Retrieved June 14, 2018.
- Hipes, Patrick (May 9, 2017). "Los Angeles Film Festival Unveils 2017 Lineup". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 14, 2018.
- Malin Kan. "The Year of Spectacular Men". LA Film Festival. Retrieved June 28, 2017.
- Espeland, Pamela (September 29, 2017). "Twin Cities Film Fest to spotlight women directors; 'La La Land in Concert' at Orchestra Hall". MinnPost. Retrieved June 14, 2018.
- "Lea Thompson and Madelyn Deutch on Good Day LA- "The Year of Spectacular Men"". LA Femme International Film Festival. Retrieved October 22, 2017.
- Haring, Bruce (October 2, 2017). "SCAD Savannah Film Festival Lineup Set; 'Molly's Game' Opening-Night Film". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 14, 2018.
- McNary, Dave (January 17, 2018). "Lea Thompson's Directorial Debut 'Year of Spectacular Men' Acquired by MarVista Entertainment". Variety. Retrieved January 17, 2018.
- "Every single movie coming out this summer". Los Angeles Times. April 26, 2018. Retrieved April 26, 2018.
- Radish, Christina (June 15, 2018). "Lea Thompson, Madelyn Deutch and Zoey Deutch on 'The Year of Spectacular Men'". Collider. Retrieved July 7, 2018.
- The Year of Spectacular Men, retrieved 2019-01-04
- "The Year of Spectacular Men Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved April 10, 2018.
- Linden, Sheri (June 16, 2017). "'The Year of Spectacular Men': Film Review LAFF 2017". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 17, 2017.
- Menzel, Scott (June 16, 2017). "LA Film Festival Review: 'The Year of Spectacular Men' is a Triple Threat Quarter Life Crisis Tale". We Live Entertainment. Retrieved June 28, 2017.