The Young Veins
|The Young Veins|
|Origin||Topanga, California, United States|
|Labels||One Haven Music|
The Young Veins were a rock band from Echo Park, California. The band was composed of Ryan Ross and Jon Walker, two former members of the Las Vegas band Panic! at the Disco, along with bassist Andy Soukal, drummer Nick Murray and keyboardist Nick White.
On July 6, 2009, Ryan Ross and Jon Walker left Panic! at the Disco, citing creative differences as the reason for their departure. Soon afterwards, it was announced that their new project would be a retro-leaning rock band called The Young Veins. Their song "Change" debuted on the duo's Myspace page, and their first album, Take a Vacation!, was announced. In late 2009 three additional members joined the band: Nick Murray on drums, Andy Soukal on bass and Nick White on keyboards. Three songs from Take a Vacation! were released as singles in April and May 2010, and the album itself was released in June 2010.
On December 10, 2010, guitarist Jon Walker announced via Twitter that the band is currently on hiatus: "The Young Veins has been on hiatus and will remain that way for the time being. Thanks for getting the album and coming to the shows."[better source needed]
AllMusic biographer Andrew Leahey described the band's sound as being "vintage pop/rock", influenced by the Cookies, the Kinks, and the Cramps. AllMusic reviewer Mark Deming considered Take a Vacation! (2010) as being inspired by "early British Invasion era pop/rock", specifically listing bands such as the Kinks, the Hollies and the Searchers.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|Take a Vacation!||40||9|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart|
|"Change"||2010||Take a Vacation!|
|"Take a Vacation!"|
|"Everyone but You"|
- Ryan Ross – vocals, guitars (2009–2010)
- Jon Walker – vocals, guitars (2009–2010)
- Andy Soukal – bass guitar, backing vocals (2009–2010)
- Nick Murray – drums, percussion (2009–2010)
- Nick White – keyboards (2010)
- Brown, August (July 4, 2010), "With Young Veins, Ryan Ross mines anew", Los Angeles Times. (Print edition title: "Downshifting to a different beat: In Panic! at the Disco, Ryan Ross played arenas—and was unhappy. Now with Young Veins, it's tiny clubs—and he's delighted.")
- Panic! At the Disco, The Young Veins Debut New Tracks, Rolling Stone, July 28, 2009.
- Exclusive: Former Panic! At The Disco Members Become The Young Veins, MTV, July 28, 2009.
- Ryan Ross and Jon Walker are The Young Veins Archived 2009-12-12 at the Wayback Machine., Stereokill, July 29, 2009.
- Jon Walker. "Twitter announcement". Retrieved 12 October 2012.
- Leahey, Andrew. "The Young Veins | Biography & History". AllMusic. Retrieved December 28, 2016.
- Deming, Mark. "Take a Vacation! - The Young Veins | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved December 28, 2016.
- "Take A Vacation! by The Young Veins". iTunes. Retrieved December 28, 2016.
- "Change by The Young Veins". iTunes. Retrieved December 28, 2016.
- "Take A Vacation! (Single) by The Young Veins". iTunes. Retrieved December 28, 2016.
- "Everyone But You (Single) by The Young Veins". iTunes. Retrieved December 28, 2016.