The Young Women's Leadership School at Rhodes High School
The Young Women's Leadership School at E. Washington Rhodes High School was a public secondary school for girls located at 3100 North 29th Street in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States. The school is a part of the School District of Philadelphia.
In September 2005 the School District of Philadelphia converted Rhodes Middle School, a coeducational middle school, into an all-female middle and high school. During that year the district established The Young Men's Leadership School at Thomas FitzSimons High School for males. The males zoned to the former FitzSimons and Rhodes zones were assigned to FitzSimons, while the females in the zones were assigned to Rhodes. After the redesign Rhodes reported a smooth transition.
In March 2012, the Philadelphia School Reform Commission voted to turn Rhodes back into a co-educational middle school. The students were reassigned to Strawberry Mansion High School. The Rhodes campus now serves as a K-8 school.
Feeder elementary schools include Thomas M. Peirce Elementary School, Anna B. Pratt School, John G. Whittier School, and Richard R. Wright School. Ethel Allen School, a K-8 school, feeds into Rhodes.
- Woodall, Martha. "All-Boys' High School Off to a Rocky Start." Philadelphia Inquirer. Monday February 27, 2006.
- Snyder, Susan. "High school reworked as boys-only." Philadelphia Inquirer. Sunday August 24, 2005.
- Herold, Benjamin. "Stanton, Sheppard spared; eight other schools to close The Public School Notebook March 29, 2012"
- Graham, Kristen A. "Philadelphia superintendent identifies schools he intends to close." Philadelphia Inquirer. December 15, 2012. Retrieved on November 30, 2015.
- "EW Rhodes Middle School." School District of Philadelphia. Retrieved on November 17, 2016.
- "A Directory of High Schools for 2009 Admissions Archived 2015-11-28 at WebCite." School District of Philadelphia. Accessed November 9, 2008.
- "Uniform Colors." School District of Philadelphia. Accessed November 9, 2008.