|Origin||Bridgeport, CT, United States|
The Zambonis are a Connecticut-based indie rock band formed in 1991 by musicians Dave Schneider (The LeeVees), Peter Katis, Jon Aley, and Tarquin Katis. The Zambonis write songs exclusively about hockey. Schneider says of the band's musical style: “We’re the only band in the world whose two biggest influences are The Beatles and Wayne Gretzky!”
The NHL has commissioned the group to compose theme songs for the Boston Bruins and the Colorado Avalanche. The band has toured with the Stanley Cup and fundraised for Matt Cullen's organization, Cullen Children's Foundation.
The Zambonis debut album, 100% Hockey...and Other Stuff, was recorded at Tarquin Studios in Connecticut, USA and was released in 1996. The 15-song disc cracked the Top 40 on the CMJ charts, and was added to the NHL, NCAA and minor league hockey arena playlists.
In October 1999, the band released its second full-length album, More Songs About Hockey...and Buildings and Food.
In 2003, The Zambonis released a new album, Chippy Sessions, a compilation of rare live cuts, singles and demos.
- Dave Schneider - guitar, bass, vocals
- Jon Aley - guitar, bass, keyboards, drums
- Mat Orefice - drums, vocals
- Tom Andrukevich - bass, guitar, vocals
- Shawn Fogel - guitar, bass, keyboards, sax, vocals
- Tarquin Katis - bass, hardcore vocalist
- Peter Katis - producer, guitar, drums, vocals
- Steve Tanski - guitar, bass, vocals
- Cary Polick - guitar, vocals
- Matt Gonzalez - Hockey Monkey
In popular media
- 100% Hockey...and Other Stuff (1996)
- More Songs About Hockey...and Buildings and Food (1999)
- To Bleed Black and Gold (2000)
- Chippy Sessions (2003)
- Greatest Hits (2007, Nettwerk)
- Fight On The Ice (2008)
- Five Minute Major (in d minor) (2012)
- "Away Game/Referee's Daughter/Shot Score " (1995)
- "Play-Off Fever EP " (1997)
- "Avalanche" (1997, split single with Lazerboy)
- "Tarquin Records Holiday Extravaganza" (1997 compilation)
- "Red Roses For Me" (2000, compilation)
- "Greasy Kid Stuff" (2002, compilation)
- Split EP with Harry and the Potters (2006, split EP)
- "Up End Atom" - Atom and His Package Tribute (2009 compilation)
- McAllister, Mike (25 April 2007). "Daily List: Top Sports-Sounding Band Names". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- Cruice, Valerie (14 April 2002). "For Love of the Game, a Hockey Band (Yes, a Hockey Band)". The New York Times. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- Shea, Kevin. "Stanley Cup Journal 2006, July 24th: Aaron Ward, Matt Cullen". Hockey Hall of Fame. Retrieved 2014-10-24.
Like last year, Cullen hired The Zambonis to perform. The rock band from Connecticut performs all hockey-themed songs, including their most recognized track, 'I Wanna Drive the Zamboni.'
- "Our Sponsors". Cullen Children's Foundation. Retrieved 2014-10-23.
- Najarian, Ara (5 March 1997). "The Hot Corner". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- "June Top 75". CMJ New Music Monthly (34): 16. June 1996. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- "Top 10 Hockey Songs". NHL Digest. 1 September 2009. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- More Songs About Hockey...and Buildings and Food at AllMusic
- "Episode 6: Meet The Creep, Part II". Icebox. Retrieved 2014-10-23.
- Stensrud, Matthew (14 October 2002). "NHL Hitz 2003 Review". PSX Extreme. Retrieved 2013-11-01.