The Zygon Who Fell to Earth
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2012)|
|The Zygon Who Fell to Earth|
|Big Finish Productions audio drama|
|Range||Eighth Doctor Adventures|
|Executive producer||Nicholas Briggs|
|Length||1 60-minute episodes|
|Release date||June 2008|
The Doctor and Lucie are visiting Auntie Pat in the 1980s, where she owns a lakeside hotel and is married to a man named Trevor. Two executives from a record company to convince Trevor, a former folk singer, to make a comeback, but Trevor refuses. That night, Lucie follows the executives to the lake and sees them drinking Skarasen milk before being caught. When Lucie returns to the Doctor she insists that they investigate the cellar, and they find a Zygon body-print machine with the real Trevor inside.
The Doctor and Lucie reveal to Pat that her husband is a Zygon, but she already knows, and loves him anyway. Lucie returns to the executives, and it is revealed that they are all Zygons in disguise. They need to recover a vital control crystal from Warmaster Hagoth - Trevor - but he has given it to Pat as a brooch, and now it's fused to the skin of her throat. When the executives kidnap Pat, the Doctor and Trevor follow her to the Zygon ship, with the fake Lucie in tow. On the ship, the Doctor rescues the real Lucie and outs the fake.
The Zygons rip the brooch from Pat's throat, killing her in the process and allowing them to arm warheads and launch an attack on the Earth. Trevor, distraught over Pat's death and not caring about his own life, allows the Doctor and Lucie to escape and then commands the Skarasen to attack and destroy the ship, stopping the Zygon plot. Lucie is unable to accept that her Auntie Pat is dead, since she knew her in the future. Once Lucie has gone to sleep Trevor returns in his Zygon form. Using the last of his strength he permanently takes the form of Auntie Pat and resolves to live an ordinary life and allow Lucie to believe the real Pat survived.
- The Doctor — Paul McGann
- Lucie Miller — Sheridan Smith
- Trevor — Steven Pacey
- Urtak — Malcolm Stoddard
- Mims — Tim Brooke-Taylor
- Aunty Pat — Lynsey Hardwick
- Grakus — Katarina Olsson
Production and casting
- Katarina Olsson has previously appeared in several Big Finish audio plays including the previous Eighth Doctor audio season as the Headhunter. She continues to feature this season in a variety of roles due to her vocal versatility.
- Featuring the song "Falling Star" sung by Steven Pacey with music by Tim Sutton and lyrics by Barnaby Edwards.
- The appearance of Tim Brooke-Taylor means that all three of The Goodies have now appeared in Doctor Who audio plays for Big Finish: Graeme Garden starred in Bang-Bang-a-Boom! and Max Warp whilst Bill Oddie appeared in Doctor Who and the Pirates.
- This story is Big Finish's first use of the Zygons.
- Lucie's Aunty Pat first appeared in Horror of Glam Rock, to which this story acts as a sequel, and returns in Death in Blackpool.
- The Zygons the Doctor says he met "back in the 19th century, down south," are apparently from The Bodysnatchers, a BBC Doctor Who novel.
- Big Finish Productions - The Zygon Who Fell to Earth
- The Zygon Who Fell to Earth at the Doctor Who Reference Guide