Theatre Row (New York City)
The Theatre Row Building is one of several theatres that make up the district.theatre entrances
|Address||West 42nd Street Between Ninth and Eleventh Avenues|
New York City
Theatre Row is an entertainment district of Off Broadway theatres on 42nd Street in Midtown Manhattan west of Ninth Avenue. The space originally referred to a 1977 redevelopment project to convert adult entertainment venues into theatres between 9th and Tenth Avenues on the south side of 42nd Street. However with the success of the district the name is often used to describe any theatre on either side of the street from Ninth Avenue to the Hudson River as more theatres have been built along the street.
- Laurie Beechman Theatre
- Theatre Row Building, housing six small theatres: the Beckett, Acorn, Clurman, Kirk, Lion and Studio theatres
- Playwrights Horizons
- Stage 42 (formerly the Little Shubert Theatre)
- Pershing Square Signature Center
- Castillo Theatre
- Pearl Theatre
Original 1977 theatres
Theatre Row was first established in 1977 in conjunction with the 42nd Street Development Corporation in an effort to convert adult entertainment venues into Off Broadway theatres. The first theatres involved in 1977 were:
- Black Theatre Alliance
- Harlem Children's Theatre
- INTAR Theatre (now on 52nd Street)
- Lion Theatre (now commemorated by a theatre in the Theatre Row Building)
- Nat Horne Musical Theatre
- Playwrights Horizons
- Harold Clurman Theatre (now commemorated by a theatre in the Theatre Row Building)
- South Street Theatre
- Bianco, Anthony (2004). Ghosts of 42nd Street: A History of America's Most Infamous Block. New York: HarperCollins Books, ISBN 0-688-17089-7.
- McKinley, Jesse (November 21, 2002). "Upscale March Of Theater Row; A Centerpiece of Redevelopment". Retrieved June 23, 2018.
- "Theatre Row NY Times 2004 on stage and off".
- Jeffri, Joan (1989). Arts Money: Raising It, Saving It, and Earning It. University of Minnesota Press. p. 164. ISBN 9781452901398.
|This article relating to roads and streets in New York City is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a building or structure in Manhattan is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|