Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request|
|Studio album by The Brian Jonestown Massacre|
|Released||June 18, 1996|
|Recorded||1995 at Bloody Angle Studios|
|The Brian Jonestown Massacre chronology|
Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request is the fourth studio album by American psychedelic rock band The Brian Jonestown Massacre. It was released on June 18, 1996 by record label Tangible and distributed by Bomp! Records, and is the second of three full-length albums released by the band that year.
Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request was recorded in 1995 at Bloody Angle Studios.
Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request reveals vast experimentation with Indian drones, sitars, mellotrons, farfisas, didgeridoos, tablas, congas, and glockenspiels. Following in the footsteps of Keith Richards and Brian Jones, BJM capture and explore the psychedelic rock sound of the late 1960s. The opening track, All Around You (Intro), pays tribute to the showmanship of the Stones, calling one and all to the psychedelic trip that they are about to experience.
AllMusic's Jason Ankeny wrote: "their music is too rich to be merely retro, and too knowing to be merely slavish – the Stones themselves haven't made a record this strong or entertaining in years."
- Side A
- "All Around You (Intro)" – 5:35
- "Cold to the Touch" – 3:20
- "Donovan Said" – 4:42
- "In India You" – 3:40
- Side B
- "No Come Down" – 5:48
- "(Around You) Everywhere" – 0:56
- "Jesus" – 6:30
- "Before You" – 1:59
- "Miss June '75" – 7:33
- Side C
- "Anemone" – 5:34
- "Baby (Prepraise)" – 0:30
- "Feelers" – 5:27
- "Bad Baby" – 8:22
- Side D
- "Cause, I Lover" – 1:17
- "(Baby) Love of My Life" – 1:06
- "Slowdown (Fuck Tomorrow)/Here It Comes" – 6:46
- "All Around You (Outro)" – 4:48
- Anton Newcombe – guitar, sitar, organ, vocals
- Jeff Davies – guitar
- Matt Hollywood – bass, guitar, vocals, backing vocals
- Dean Taylor – guitar
- Joel Gion – percussion
- Brian Glaze – drums
- Mara Keagle – guitar, percussion, vocals ("Anenome"), backing vocals
The liner notes also contain a list of instruments appearing on the album:
- "acoustic guitar, sitar, clavs, mellotron, tambora, echoplex-feedback-generator, electric guitar, dumbek, tablas, flute, farfisa, recorder, tape loops, drums, acoustic bass, shinni, chanter, didgeridoo, vox jaguar, French horn, viola, tuba, SMS serge, 12-string electric guitar, harmonium, tambourines, cabasa, conga, jimbe, accordion, celeste, glockenspiel, bells, fish, piano, hammond, cello, wolf horn, maracas, weird-fucking-Chinese-shit, tyco drum, vibes, woodwinds and other top secret crap."
- Ankeny, Jason (1996-06-18). "Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request - The Brian Jonestown Massacre". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-01-12.