|Birth name||青山 テルマ (Aoyama Thelma)|
|Born||October 27, 1987|
|Labels||Universal Music Group (Japan)|
|Associated acts||Taeyang, SoulJa, Jyongri|
She is known for her collaboration song with SoulJa, "Koko ni Iru yo", and her answer song "Soba ni Iru ne". In September 2008, the Guinness World Records certified that "Soba ni Iru ne" was the best-selling digital download single in Japan with over two million "full-track" downloads (Chaku Uta Full). Including various forms of digital downloads, it sold over 8.7 million downloads by November 2008. The Guinness record was surpassed by Greeeen's song "Kiseki" in June 2009.
She spent six years at Osaka International School as an elementary school student. At age 12, her family moved to Torrance, California, where she lived for two years and attended Calle Mayor Middle School. She returned to Japan in the winter of 2002, settling in Tokyo. Aoyama attended the American School in Japan. She attended Sophia University.
Aoyama was inspired to become a performer by Janet Jackson. Her first release in the music world was a collaboration on DS455's single "Summer Paradise: Risin' To Tha Sun, feat. Aoyama Thelma". The single reached #46 on the Oricon charts. On September 9, 2007, Aoyama made her solo debut with the single "One Way". This single debuted at #98 on the Oricon charts. Two weeks later, Aoyama was featured on the hit single "Koko ni Iru yo" with fellow J-Soul artist SoulJa. The single stayed on the charts for many weeks. The single sold over 100,000 copies and reached #6 on the charts.
In early 2008, Aoyama released an answer song to the single "Koko ni Iru yo" by SoulJa with her own single titled "Soba ni Iru ne" which also featured SoulJa. The songs are similar, and share the same chorus. However, the song "Soba ni Iru ne" proved to be more popular than the song "Koko ni Iru yo", debuting at #3 in its first week on the Oricon charts, and in its second week reached #1 on the charts. "Soba ni Iru ne" stayed in the Top 5 ranking for 7 consecutive weeks. It became the highest-selling female single (strictly a duet song) on the Oricon 2008 yearly charts.
Her debut album, Diary, was released in Japan on March 26, 2008.
On February 11, 2009, she released the album Love!: Thelma Love Song Collection, which debuted at the number-one position on the Oricon weekly charts. Her album Emotions was released in September, 2009.
Aoyama's single "Kaeru Basho" was released on March 3, 2010. The song was used in the movie Doraemon: Nobita's Great Battle of the Mermaid King. This single features SoulJa, and has a B side called "Anata ga Kiechaisode". Summer Love!! featuring Red Rice came out in 2010.
In 2010, she sang with the Taiwan pop group Da Mouth in a duet with the female lead singer Aisa, on the song "Secret Life". The song appears on the album Da First Episode.
Aoyama collaborated with Korean girl group 4Minute on the single, "Without U", released on May 25, 2011. The English version was released on May 7, 2011.
- 青山テルマ、ギネス認定...そばにいるね「日本で最も売れた着うたフル楽曲」 (in Japanese). Sports Hochi. 2008-09-12. Retrieved 2008-12-08.[dead link]
- 青山テルマ、紅白発表日も１限から授業 (in Japanese). Nikkan Sports. 2008-11-26. Retrieved 2008-12-08.
- 「キセキ」着うたフルＤＬでギネス申請 (in Japanese). Sports Nippon. 2009-05-29. Retrieved 2009-10-21.[dead link]
- "GReeeeN、「キセキ」がギネス認定" (in Japanese). Barks.jp. 2009-07-02. Retrieved 2009-10-21.
- "Profile of Thelma Aoyama". Thelma Archives. 09-08. Retrieved 04-01-14. Check date values in:
- "2008 Yearly Singles Rankings" (in Japanese). Oricon. 2008-12-11. Retrieved 2008-12-11.
- Kim, Hannah (December 24, 2009). "Tae Yang and Thelma Aoyama set to release a new single". JoongAng Daily. Retrieved December 27, 2009.
- "hide Tribute VI -Female SPIRITS-". cdjapan.jp. Retrieved 2013-12-15.
- Official Site (Japanese)
- Thelma Aoyama's's channel on YouTube[dead link]
- Universal Label Site (Japanese)
- Oricon Profile (Japanese)
- Official Blog (Japanese)