Them That Follow
|Them That Follow|
Theatrical release poster
|Music by||Garth Stevenson|
|Edited by||Joshua Raymond Lee|
|Distributed by||1091 Media|
Them That Follow is a 2019 American thriller film, written and directed by Britt Poulton and Dan Madison Savage, in their directorial debuts. It stars Olivia Colman, Kaitlyn Dever, Alice Englert, Jim Gaffigan, Walton Goggins, Thomas Mann and Lewis Pullman.
Deep in Appalachia, Pastor Lemuel Childs (Walton Goggins) presides over an isolated community of serpent handlers, an obscure sect of Pentecostals who willingly take up venomous snakes to prove themselves before God. As his devoted daughter, Mara (Alice Englert) prepares for her wedding day, under the watchful eye of Hope Slaughter (Olivia Colman), a dangerous secret is unearthed and she is forced to confront the deadly tradition of her father’s church.
- Olivia Colman as Hope Slaughter
- Kaitlyn Dever as Dilly Picket
- Alice Englert as Mara Childs
- Jim Gaffigan as Zeke
- Walton Goggins as Lemuel Childs
- Thomas Mann as Augie
- Lewis Pullman as Garret
- Connor Daniel Lysholm as Jace
In August 2017, it was announced Olivia Colman, Alice Englert and Thomas Mann had joined the cast of the film, with Britt Poulton and Dan Madison Savage directing from a screenplay they wrote. Gerard Butler, Bradley Gallo and Michael Helfant, Danielle Robinson, will serve as producers on the film, under their Amsia Entertainment and G-Base banners, respectively. In September 2017, Walton Goggins joined the cast of the film. In October 2017, Kaitlyn Dever and Jim Gaffigan joined the cast of the film.
It had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 27, 2019. Shortly after, 1091 Media and Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions acquired U.S. and international distribution rights to the film, respectively. It was released August 2, 2019.
Them That Follow holds 65% approval rating on review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, based on 33 reviews, with a weighted average of 6.19/10. The website's critics consensus reads "Them That Follow never quite captures the spiritual fervor of its setting, but the cast's committed performances make for an intermittently satisfying character study." On Metacritic, the film holds a rating of 54 out of 100, based on 14 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
- "Them That Follow". Sundance Film Festival. Retrieved December 15, 2018.
- "Them That Follow". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved August 16, 2019.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (August 17, 2017). "Olivia Colman, Alice Englert, Thomas Mann Set For 'Them That Follow'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 28, 2018.
- Hipes, Patrick (September 11, 2017). "Walton Goggins To Shepherd The Flock In 'Them That Follow'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 28, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (October 3, 2017). "Kaitlyn Dever Cast In Dramatic Thriller 'Them That Follow'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 28, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (October 12, 2017). "Jim Gaffigan Joins Olivia Colman In 'Them That Follow' Thriller". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 28, 2018.
- "'Them That Follow' Starring Thomas Mann Casting Call Featured Roles". Project Casting. October 18, 2017. Retrieved November 28, 2018.
- Debruge, Peter (November 28, 2018). "Sundance Film Festival Unveils 2019 Features Lineup". Variety. Retrieved November 28, 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (January 28, 2019). "Olivia Colman-Walton Goggins Drama Thriller 'Them That Follow' Acquired By 1091 Media's The Orchard – Sundance". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved January 28, 2019.
- Lang, Brent (January 30, 2019). "Sundance: Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions Nabs 'Them That Follow' Foreign Rights (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved January 30, 2019.
- "Them That Follow". The-Numbers. Retrieved May 20, 2019.
- "Them That Follow (2019)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved August 3, 2019.
- "Them That Follow". Metacritic. Retrieved August 3, 2019.