Thembelihle Local Municipality
Location in the Northern Cape
|District||Pixley ka Seme|
|• Type||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Lynette Olifant|
|• Total||8,023 km2 (3,098 sq mi)|
|• Density||2.0/km2 (5.1/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2011)|
|• Black African||15.2%|
|First languages (2011)|
|Time zone||SAST (UTC+2)|
Thembelihle Local Municipality is a local municipality in the Pixley ka Seme District Municipality district of the Northern Cape province of South Africa. Thembelihle is a Xhosa name meaning "good hope".
|Place||Code||Area (km2)||Population||Most spoken language|
|Remainder of the municipality||31204||6,740.15||3,064||Afrikaans|
The municipal council consists of seven members elected by mixed-member proportional representation. Four councillors are elected by first-past-the-post voting in four wards, while the remaining three are chosen from party lists so that the total number of party representatives is proportional to the number of votes received. In the election of 18 May 2011 the African National Congress (ANC) won a majority of four seats on the council.
The opposition took control of the council in December 2011, after ANC lost a by-election to an independent candidate. The independent, former ANC member Danny Jonas, became the new mayor of the municipality supported by the Congress of the People and the Democratic Alliance.
|African National Congress||3,255||3,300||6,555||55.8||4||0||4|
|Congress of the People||1,799||1,744||3,543||30.2||0||2||2|
|Freedom Front Plus||131||104||235||2.0||0||0||0|
- "Contact list: Executive Mayors". Government Communication & Information System. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- "Table: Census 2011 by district council, gender, age in 5 year groups and population group". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "Table: Census 2011 by district council, gender, language and population group". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- South African Languages - Place names
- Lookup Tables - Statistics South Africa
- "Results Summary – All Ballots: Thembelihle" (PDF). Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 24 November 2013.
- "Seat Calculation Detail: Thembelihle" (PDF). Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 24 November 2013.
|This Northern Cape location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|