Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)"|
|Single by Diana Ross|
|from the album Mahogany|
|B-side||"No One's Gonna Be a Fool Forever"|
|Released||September 24, 1975|
|Diana Ross singles chronology|
|45 RPM promotional copy|
Special issue colored vinyl single
"Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)" is a song written by Michael Masser and Gerald Goffin, and initially recorded by American singer Thelma Houston in 1973, and then most notably by Diana Ross as the theme to the 1975 Motown/Paramount film Mahogany.
Recorded with a full orchestral accompaniment, "Theme from Mahogany" became one of the most recognizable elements of the film, receiving praise from many critics.
Release and track listing
|7" vinyl single - US|
|1.||"Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)"||Gerry Goffin, Michael Masser||3:19|
|2.||"No One's Gonna Be a Fool Forever"||Michael Masser, Pam Sawyer||3:18|
- French singer Nicole Rieu released a French-language cover of the song (titled "En courant") as a single in 1976.
- Kelly Price covered this as a hook on Diddy's "Do You Know" from his 1997 album No Way Out.
- Slick Rick sang the chorus of the song near the end of his 1988 song, "Teenage Love".
- Fictional singer Steven Clark covered the song in the 2012 film God Bless America.
- Filipina singer Juris Fernandez covered the song from the album Dreaming of You.
- Mariah Carey covered the song on her 1998 compilation album, #1's, as an international bonus track.
- Jennifer Lopez covered the song on her 1999 album On the 6, as an international bonus track.
- TobyMac sampled the hook for the song "Do You Know" on his 2001 album Momentum.
- Hong Kong singer Janice Vidal covered the song in her album Do U Know (album) in 2006.
- Lara Fabian covered the song for her acoustic album Every Woman in me in 2009.
- Me First and the Gimme Gimmes covered the song on their album Have Another Ball .
- Pinhead Gunpowder covered the song on their E.P Carry the Banner
- Rapper Big Sean and producer Metro Boomin sampled the song on their 2017 album Double or Nothing.
- List of number-one adult contemporary singles of 1975 (U.S.)
- List of Billboard Hot 100 number-one singles of 1976
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas (2003). "Diana Ross". In Bogdanov, Vladimir; Woodstra, Chris; Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. All Music Guide to Soul. Allmusic. San Francisco: Backbeat Books. p. 587. ISBN 0-87930-744-7. Retrieved 2008-05-17.
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 210.
- "CAN Charts > Diana Ross". RPM. Retrieved 2014-03-26.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Do You Know Where You're Going To". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- "UK Charts > Diana Ross". Official Charts. Retrieved 2014-03-26.
- Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles 1955-1990 - ISBN 9780898200898
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2016-06-11.
- "Adult Contemporary Music Chart". Billboard. 1975-12-06. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- "Top 100 1976 - UK Music Charts". Uk-charts.top-source.info. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1976/Top 100 Songs of 1976". Musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- Top 50 Adult Contemporary Hits of 1976
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-10-21. Retrieved 2016-06-05.
"I Write the Songs" by Barry Manilow
|Billboard Hot 100 number-one single
January 24, 1976 (one week)
"Love Rollercoaster" by Ohio Players