- This article is about the former village of Theni, which is now part of the Theni Allinagaram municipality.
View of Theni
|• Total||2,889 km2 (1,115 sq mi)|
|Elevation||100 m (300 ft)|
|• Density||1.7/km2 (4.4/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||TN 60|
|Distance from Chennai||498 kilometres (309 mi) southwest|
|Climate||Average and moderate cool at winter (Köppen)|
|Precipitation||658 millimetres (25.9 in)|
|Avg. summer temperature||39.5 °C (103.1 °F)|
|Avg. winter temperature||25.8 °C (78.4 °F)|
Theni ( pronunciation (help·info)) is a town in the Western part of Tamil Nadu, a state in Southern India, Near Kerala Border. It is the headquarters of Theni District. It is known for the large-scale trading of Garlic, Cotton, Cardamom, Grapes and Chilli. It hosts the second largest weekly market in Tamil Nadu and the fourth largest in South India. It is well-connected by rail and road to Madurai and by road to all the important cities in Tamil Nadu. The nearest airport is at Madurai.
Theni district is surrounded by the Western Ghats. The main occupation of people of Theni is Agriculture. The Vaigai River flows through this district. Other important rivers include the Mullaiperiyar(Diverted Periyar River from Kumali Idukki District Kerala), Suruliyaru, Varaganathi, Kottakkudiyaru, and Manjalaru rivers.
Suruliaruvi which is situated in Surulipatti of Theni district is a famous waterfall. Meghamalai, Vellimalai are hill stations with natural beauty and home for wild lives. Vaigai Dam Sothuparai Dam and Shanmuganadhi Dam are the visitable water reservoirs of Theni District. Other tourist spots include, Kumbakkarai Falls, Veerapandi, and Kurangani, Kolukkumalai, Top station.
Nearest Tourist Spots in KERALA
Kumali, Thekkadi, Ramakkalmmedu, Pooppara, Bodimettu, Idukki Dam and Munnar are the famous hill station of South India at Idukki District Kerala, just 86 km away from Theni city.
The nearest railway junctions are Dindigul and Madurai which are 75 kilometers away from Theni. Nearest Airport MADURAI 85 km Trichy 170 km KOCHI(Kerala)205 km
- Temple of Gowmariamman & Pathirakaliyamman, Odaipatti, Theni.
- Temple of Sri Markandeya Bavanarishi, Vadugapatti, Periyakulam.
- Temple of Sri Bagavathi Amman, Vadugapatti, Periyakulam.
- Temple Of Shri Kaliamman Kovil at Odaipatty, Theni
- Temple of shri kaliamman koil at Gandamanur, Theni
- Our Lady of Snows Church (1902), Royappanpatti, Theni
- Temple of Shri Gowmariamman & Kanneswaramudaiyar Koil at Veerapandi, Theni
- Temple of Pathirakaliyamman at Pathirakalipuram, Theni
- Temple of Pragyna Dakshinamurthy at Chibavananda Ashram, Theni
- Temple of Boominaatha lingeswar at Pathirakalipuram, Theni
- Temple of Sri Saneeswara Bhagavan at Kuchanur, Theni Saneeswara Temple
- Temple of Meenatchi Sundareswarar at Andipatti.
- Temple of Sri Veerappa Ayyanar at Allinagaram, Theni
- Temple of Sri Dharma Thevathai at Jangalpatti, Theni
- Temple of Sri Kaliyamman at Dharmapuri,Theni. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbqFAtRHLUc)
- Temple of Kathali Narashinga perumal at Jampuliputhur,Theni
- Temple of Poolantheeswarar at Chinnamanur, Theni
- Temple of Backiyamman Kovil at Natchiyarpuram, Andipatti.
- Temple of Balasubramaniam kovil,periyakulam,theni.
- Temple of Kalahastheeswarar, Uthamapalayam, Theni
- Temple of Kathali Narasingaperumal kovil, Jambuliputhur, Andipatti.
- Sri Markandeya Weaver Middle School, Vadugapatti, Periyakulam Taluk.
- Government Higher Secondary School, Vadugapatti, Periyakulam Taluk.
- Sri.V.V.Hr.Sec.School (1947), Venkatachalapuram
- Nadar Saraswathi Primary School (1919)
- Nadar Saraswathi Hr. Sec. School (Boys) (1943)
- Nadar Saraswathi Girls Hr. Sec. School (1957)
- Theni Melapettai Hindu Nadar Uravinmurai Matriculation Hr. Sec. School (1977)
- Nadar Saraswathi Women’s Industrial School (1996)
- Savariyappa Udayar Memorial Higher Secondary School (1963), Royappanpatti, Theni
- Government higher secondary school (1965),Gandamanur, Theni
- Santiniketan Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- N.A. Konduraja memorial high school
- Velammal vidyalaya cbse school - Theni (CBSE)
- Velammal matriculation school, Theni
- Mary Matha Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Theni
- Theni Kammavar Sangam Matriculation Higher Secondary school, Theni
- The Little Kingdom (ICSE), Theni
- Palaniappa Memorial Higher Secondary School, Palanichettipatti, Theni
- Gateway Language Academy, GH Road, Theni
- Government higher secondary school, Allinagaram, Theni
- Nesan Kala Salai, Narayanathevanpatti, Theni
- Hindu Higher secondary school, Jakkampatty, Theni
- zamindarini kamulammal memorial hr.sec school,bodinayakanur
- Fairlands Foundation school,C.Pudupatti.Cumbum.
Colleges in Theni
Names of colleges In Theni
- Madurai Kamraj University College, Andipatti.
- Nadar Saraswathi College of Engineering and Technology, Vadapudupatti,Theni
- VPV College of Engineering, Periyakulam
- Government Theni Medical College, Aundipatti, Theni
- Nadar Saraswathi College of Arts and Science, Vadapudupatti,Theni
- College of Agricultural Technology, Theni (Kullapuram)
- Government college of Engineering,Bodinayakanur.
- Bharath Niketan engineering College
- Odiyappa College of Engineering and Technology
- Theni Kammavar Sangam College of Technology
- Theni Kammavar Sangam College of Arts & Science
- Hajee Karutha Rowther Howdia college, Uthamapalayam
Polytechnic colleges in Theni
- Bharath Niketan Polytechnic College, Thimmarasanaickanoor, Theni
- Devangar Polytechnic College, D Vadipatti, Theni
- Government Polytechnic College, Kottur, Theni
- Kala Pandian Polytechnic College, Sillamarathupatti, Theni
- Thangam Muthu Polytechnic College, Endapuli Kamatchipuram, Theni
- Theni Kammavar Sangam Polytechnic College, Koduvilarpatti, Theni
- Horticultural College and Research Institute, Periyakulam
- Jayaraj Annabakyam women's college of arts and science,periyakulam
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Theni.|
Theni official website is