Theo van Boven
From 1986 to 1991, he was the UN's Special Rapporteur on the Right to Reparation to Victims of Gross Violations of Human Rights and, from 2001 to 2004, Special Rapporteur on Torture. He is also a member of the International Commission of Jurists. From February 1994 to December 1994, he was the first registrar of the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia.
In 1985, he was awarded the Right Livelihood Award for "speaking out on human rights abuse without fear or favour in the international community", in 2004, the Wateler Peace Prize and in 2013, the Light of Truth Award. From 1995 to 2016 he was jury member of the Nuremberg International Human Rights Award.
On 16 December 2005, the United Nations General Assembly adopted the resolution 60/147, titled 'Basic Principles and Guidelines on the Right to a Remedy and Reparation for Victims of Gross Violations of International Human Rights Law and Serious Violations of International Humanitarian Law'. These principles are largely inspired from the work of Van Boven and Cherif Bassiouni and are known as the Van Boven/Bassiouni Principles.
Van Boven has stated his support for the Campaign for the Establishment of a United Nations Parliamentary Assembly, an organisation which advocates for democratic reform in the United Nations, and the creation of a more accountable international political system.
He is starring the documentary film The Subversives. The plot centers about his job as director of UN Human Rights affaires of the late 70s and early 80s. The film tells his commitment for the many thousands of disappearances and refugees, his actions against military dictatorships and his facing with UN Secretary General Javier Pérez de Cuéllar.
Introductory note on the General Assembly resolution 60/147 of 16 December 2005 (Basic Principles and Guidelines on the Right to a Remedy and Reparation for Victims of Gross Violations of International Human Rights Law and Serious Violations of International Humanitarian Law) in the Historic Archives of the United Nations Audiovisual Library of International Law
Report of the special rapporteur on the question of torture, Theo van Boven, on his visit to Spain Published February 2004.
- Theo van Boven: a tribute Retrieved 30 March 2020.
- Lamp for the Path Teachings in Fribourg Archived 2013-06-25 at the Wayback Machine, Dalai Lama website, 14 April 2013
- Universidad de Buenos Aires. "Theo Van Boven fue distinguido con el tutulo de Doctor Honoris Causa". www.uba.ar.
- "Overview". Campaign for a UN Parliamentary Assembly. Retrieved 2017-10-27.
- The documentary film the subversives Retrieved 30 March 2020.
- BASIC PRINCIPLES AND GUIDELINES ON THE RIGHT TO A REMEDY AND REPARATION FOR VICTIMS OF VIOLATIONS OF INTERNATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS AND HUMANITARIAN LAW ("Van Boven Principles")
- The Basic Principles and Guidelines on the Historic Archives of the UN Audiovisual Library of International Law, with an introductory note by Theo van Boven
- Prof. mr. dr. T.C. van Boven, 1934 - at the Amsterdam University Album Academicum