|Origin||Athens, Georgia, US|
|Genres||Christian metal, progressive metal, power metal|
|Labels||Ulterium Records (Present), MetalAges Records (Past)|
Val Allen Wood
|Past members||Seth Filkins
Theocracy is a Christian progressive power metal band founded in 2002 by Matt Smith of Athens, Georgia. The group originally started out as a one-man project and all the instruments and vocals done on the debut album Theocracy were performed by Smith. The current lineup includes Smith along with Patrick Nickell, Jonathan Hinds, Jared Oldham, and Val Allen Wood. Musically, the band mixes the power metal style of Edguy, Iced Earth, and Helloween with progressive influences from bands such as Dream Theater, Symphony X, Kansas and Rush.
The group performed at the ProgPower USA VII festival Pre-Party in Atlanta, Georgia. Live performances from the show of the songs "The Serpent's Kiss" and "Mountain" were included on the ProgPower VII DVD. Their second album, Mirror of Souls, was released on Sweden's Ulterium Records and features cover artwork by Robert G. Wilson, Jr. A song, "On Eagles Wings", which is on that album, can be heard on the band's official MySpace page. Mirror of Souls was released on November 26, 2008 in Japan by Soundholic Records. The Japanese version contains the bonus track "Wages of Sin". The North American edition was released December 9, 2008. A picture disc LP was released through the record labels web store containing "Mirror of Souls", "Laying the Demon to Rest", "Absolution Day" and "The Wages of Sin". This LP was limited to 250 copies worldwide.
The band's latest album, As the World Bleeds, was released on November 21, 2011 in North America and on November 25, 2011 in Europe. After releasing their new album Theocracy released their first official music video from the new album, entitled "Hide in the Fairytale" on September 5, 2012.
The band embarked on a European tour to promote the remastered re-release of the self-titled album in November 2013. The tour consisted of smaller venue shows as well as larger festivals including Brainstorm Festival in The Netherlands, Blast of Eternity and Rock Without Limits in Germany, and Maata Näkyvissä Festival in Finland. Joshua Street filled in for drummer Shawn Benson for this tour.
- Current members
- Matt Smith – lead vocals, keyboards (2002–2008), guitar, bass (2002–2009)
- Jonathan Hinds – guitar, backing vocals, keyboards (2006–present)
- Val Allen Wood – lead guitar, backing vocals (2009–present)
- Jared Oldham – bass, backing vocals (2009–present)
- Shawn Benson – drums (2005–2014, 2015–present)
- Former members
- Seth Filkins – bass, backing vocals
- Josh Sloan – bass, backing vocals
- Patrick Parris – bass, backing vocals
- Patrick Nickell – drums (2014–2015)
- 2003 - Theocracy MetalAges Records. Re-recorded and remastered in 2013 and released on both Ulterium and Nightmare Records
- 2008 - Mirror of Souls Ulterium and Nightmare Records
- 2011 - As the World Bleeds Ulterium and Nightmare Records
Starting in 2003, the band has recorded and released one Christmas-themed song for free download to all members of their "Club of Souls" fan group per year, located on their official website, excluding 2013, in which Matt Smith instead dedicated his efforts to the Collide & Spark charity special, released as Project Aegis.
- 2003: "Christmas Medley"
- 2004: "Little Drummer Boy"
- 2005: "Deck the Joy (To the Halls)"
- 2006: "Christmas Medley" (2006 Remix)
- 2007: "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel"
- 2008: "Rudolph vs. Frosty"
- 2009: "Angels from the Realms of Glory"
- 2010: "All I Want for Christmas"
- 2011: "Christmas Medley" (2011 Remix)
- 2012: "Wynter Fever"
- 2014: "Night of silence"
Theocracy made an appearance on the cover of the January/December 2007 issue of Heaven's Metal magazine. Matt Smith was also one of a select few musicians to appear in the "Metal Bible". They also performed the "Jack O" theme song on the BS Report with Bill Simmons.
- "ProgPower The DVD Progress Report". Lucidloungestudios.com. Retrieved May 21, 2012.
- "Theocracy Signs with Ulterium Records - Ultimate Metal Forum". Ultimatemetal.com. Retrieved May 21, 2012.
- US. "Theocracy - ATHENS, Georgia - Metal / Christian / Progressive - www.myspace.com/theocracyband". MySpace.com. Retrieved May 21, 2012.
- "THEOCRACY - AS THE WORLD BLEEDS - Ultimate Metal Forum". Ultimatemetal.com. October 12, 2011. Retrieved May 21, 2012.
- "Theocracy Have New Videos Out". Metal CallOut.
- "We had an interview with Theocracy (USA) at Maata Näkyvissä festival". Nuotta.
- "HM Store". Hmmagazine.com. Retrieved May 21, 2012.
- "Blabbermouth.Net". Roadrun.com. Retrieved May 21, 2012.