||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (June 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|This article may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (June 2016)|
Theodore Ziolkowski (born 1932, Birmingham, Alabama), is a scholar in the fields of German studies and comparative literature. He received an A.B. from Duke University in 1951, an A.M. from Duke in 1952 and, following studies at the University of Innsbruck, his Ph.D from Yale University in 1957.
Following appointments at Yale and Columbia, he was called to Princeton University as professor of German in 1964. In 1969 he was appointed Class of 1900 Professor of German and Comparative Literature and, from 1979-92, Dean of the Graduate School. Since 2001 he has been Professor Emeritus. A past president of the Modern Language Association (1985) and visiting professor at several universities (Yale, CUNY, Rutgers, Bristol, Munich, Lueneburg), he has received many awards for his books and honors in the United States and abroad, including the Goethe-Medaille of the Goethe-Institut, the Jacob-und-Wilhelm Grimm Preis (DAAD), the Forschungspreis of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, the Bundesverdienstkreuz (1. Klasse) of the Federal Republic of Germany, and the D.Phil.h.c. from the University of Greifswald. A member of the American Philosophical Society and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences he is also a corresponding member of the Austrian Akademie der Wissenschaften, the Göttingen Akademie der Wissenschaften, and the Deutsche Akademie fur Sprache und Dichtung.
- 1964. Hermann Broch
- 1965. The Novels of Hermann Hesse: Themes and Structures
- 1966. Hermann Hesse
- 1969. Dimensions of the Modern Novel: German Texts and European Contexts
- 1972. Fictional Transfigurations of Jesus (James Russell Lowell Prize of MLA)
- 1973, ed. Hesse: A Collection of Critical Essays.
- 1976, ed.Hermann Hesse: My Belief. Essays on Life and Art
- 1977. Disenchanted Images: A Literary Iconology
- 1979. Der Schriftsteller Hermann Hesse
- 1980. The Classical German Elegy, 1795–1950
- 1983. Varieties of Literary Thematics
- 1990. German Romanticism and Its Institutions
- 1991, ed. Soul of the Age: Letters of Hermann Hesse.
- 1993. Virgil and the Moderns.
- 1997. The Mirror of Justice: Literary Reflections of Legal Crises (Christian Gauss Award of Phi Beta Kappa).
- 1998. The View from the Tower. Origins of an Antimodernist Image. ISBN 0-691-05907-1
- 1998. Das Wunderjahr in Jena: Geist und Gesellschaft, 1794/95
- 2000. The Sin of Knowledge: Ancient Themes and Modern Variations.
- 2002. Berlin: Aufstieg einer Kulturmetropole um 1810
- 2004. Clio the Romantic Muse: Historicizing the Faculties in Germany (Barricelli Prize of International Conference on Romanticism)
- 2004. Hesitant Heroes: Private Inhibition, Cultural Crisis.
- 2005. Ovid and the Moderns (Robert Motherwell Award of Dedalus Foundation)
- 2006. Vorboten der Moderne: Eine Kulturgeschichte der Fruehromantik
- 2006, ed. Friedrich Dürrenmatt: Selected Works: Vol. 2 Fiction
- 2007 Modes of Faith: Secular Surrogates for Lost Religious Belief
- 2008 Minos and the Moderns: Cretan Myth in Twentieth-Century Literature and Art
- 2008 Mythologisierte Gegenwart: Deutsches Erleben seit 1933 in antikem Gewand
- 2009 Heidelberger Romantik: Mythos und Symbol
- 2009 Scandal on Stage: European Theater as Moral Trial
- 2010 Die Welt im Gedicht. Rilkes Sonette an Orpheus II.4
- 2010 Dresdner Romantik: Politik und Harmonie
- 2011, ed. Peter Hacks: Senecas Tod
- 2011 Gilgamesh among Us: Modern Encounters with the Ancient Epic
- 2013 Lure of the Arcane: The Literature of Cult and Conspiracy
- 2015 Classicism of the Twenties: Art, Music, and Literature
- 2015 The Alchemist in Literature: From Dante to the Present
- 2016 "Uses and Abuses of Moses: Literary Representations since the Enlightenment"
- 2017 "Music into Fiction: Composers Writing, Compositions Imitated"
- "Science, Frankenstein, and Myth", Theodore Ziolkowski, The Sewanee Review, Winter 1981
- "Gilgamesh: An Epic Obsession", Theodore Ziolkowski, Berfrois, 1 November 2011