September 8, 1934
|Thesis||Analysis and Synthesis of Pulse Frequency Modulation Feedback Systems (1964)|
|Doctoral advisor||Eliahu I. Jury|
|Doctoral students||John Mylopoulos|
Theodosios Pavlidis (Greek: Θεοδόσιος Παυλίδης; born September 8, 1934, in Thessaloniki) is a computer scientist and Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Computer Science at the State University of New York, Stony Brook.
Pavlidis studied at the National Technical University of Athens, where in 1957 he received his Diploma in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering degree. He continued to study at the University of California, Berkeley, where he received his MS in Electrical Engineering in 1962 and his PhD in Electrical Engineering in 1964.
Pavlidis taught at Princeton University, starting as an assistant professor in 1964, promoted to associate professor in 1968 and full professor in 1975. In 1980, he joined AT&T Bell Laboratories in Murray Hill, New Jersey, as a Member of Technical Staff. While at Bell Labs, in 1982, he was appointed Senior Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (PAMI) and held that position through 1986. Pavlidis resumed teaching in 1986, first as a Leading Professor, and then as a distinguished professor in 1995, becoming emeritus in 2001.
Pavlidis conducted fundamental research in several computer software technology areas, including pattern recognition, image analysis, picture editing, OCR, computer vision, and barcodes. He contributed to the PDF417 two-dimensional barcode ISO standard, allowing for the barcode itself to have very high information density and error correction. His work in computer vision resulted in an algorithm that could scan barcodes that are poorly printed or defaced/dirty.
Honors and awards
- 1979Fellow of the IEEE: 
- 1986IEEE Computer Society Meritorious Service Certificate for contributions as Editor-in-Chief of PAMI: 
- 1994Fellow of the IAPR for contributions to computer graphics and image processing, and for service to the IAPR: 
- 1996IEEE Computer Society Golden Core Award: 
- 2000IAPR King-Sun Fu Prize for fundamental contributions to the theory and methodology of structural pattern recognition: 
- Biological Oscillators: Their Mathematical Analysis. Academic Press, 1973.
- Structural Pattern Recognition. Springer-Verlag, 1977.
- Algorithms for Graphics and Image Processing. Computer Science Press, 1982.
- Interactive Computer Graphics in X. PWS Publishing, 1995.
- Fundamentals of X Programming. Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, 1999.
- "SBU - Computer Science Department - Theo Pavlidis". Retrieved 2016-05-12.
- "Ph.D. Dissertations in EECS at UC Berkeley 1964". Retrieved 2016-05-12.
- "The Mathematics Genealogy Project - Theodosios Pavlidis". Retrieved 2016-05-12.
- "King-Sun Fu Prize. IAPR Newsletter, Vol. 24, No. 4, Autumn 2000" (PDF). Retrieved 2016-05-16.
- "Faculty Promotions. Princeton Alumni Weekly, Vol. 68, May 7, 1968, p. 99". 1967. Retrieved 2016-05-12.
- "The Faculty. Princeton Alumni Weekly, Vol. 75, May 6, 1975, p.74". 1974. Retrieved 2016-05-12.
- "Alumni of the Bell Labs Computing Sciences Research Center". Retrieved 2016-05-12.
- "Opinion". IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence. PAMI-4: 1. 1982. doi:10.1109/TPAMI.1982.4767187.
- "NSF Researchers Improve Barcode Scanners; Advances Lead to Widespread Use of the Technology". Retrieved 2016-05-12.
- Joseph, E.; Pavlidis, T. (1993). "Deblurring of bilevel waveforms". IEEE Transactions on Image Processing. 2 (2): 223–35. Bibcode:1993ITIP....2..223J. doi:10.1109/83.217225. PMID 18296210.
- Joseph, E.; Pavlidis, T. (1994). "Bar code waveform recognition using peak locations". IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence. 16 (6): 630–640. doi:10.1109/34.295907. S2CID 17041460.
- Theodosios Pavlidis publications indexed by Google Scholar
- Theodosios Pavlidis at DBLP Bibliography Server
- "Theodosios Pavlidis. USPTO Patent Database". Retrieved 2016-05-12.
- "Getting to know... Theo Pavlidis, IAPR Fellow. IAPR Newsletter, Vol. 34, No. 1, January, 2012". Retrieved 2016-05-12.
- "IEEE Fellows Directory". Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE). Retrieved 2016-05-12.
- "IEEE Computer Society Meritorious Service Certificate". Retrieved 2016-05-12.
- "IAPR Fellows". Retrieved 2016-05-12.
- "IEEE Computer Society Golden Core". Retrieved 2016-05-12.
- "IAPR - IAPR Awards". Retrieved 2016-05-12.