Theodred (bishop of London)
|Bishop of London|
|Appointed||between 909 and 926|
|Term ended||between 951 and 953|
|Consecration||between 909 and 926|
|Died||between 951 and 953|
Theodred was a medieval Bishop of London.
Theodred was consecrated between 909 and 926, probably in 926. He may have been German and was a patron of German clerics, several of whom were beneficiaries of his will. He was close to king Æthelstan throughout his reign, and is reported to have been present at the Battle of Brunanburh in 937. He took messages from the king to his councillors, and is said to have bought relics in Pavia.
Theodred died between 951 and 953.
- Fryde, et al. Handbook of British Chronology p. 220
- Wood "Carolingian Scholar" England and the Continent pp. 137, 148
- Ortenberg "King from Overseas" England and the Continent p. 233
- Wood "Making of King Aethelstan's Empire" ""Ideal and Reality p. 256
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1996). Handbook of British Chronology (Third revised ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
- Ortenberg, Veronica (2010). "The King from Overseas: Why did Æthelstan Matter in Tenth-Century Continental Affairs?". In Rollason, David; Leyser, Conrad; Williams, Hannah (eds.). England and the Continent in the Tenth Century:Studies in Honour of Wilhelm Levison (1876-1947). Brepols. ISBN 9782503532080.
- Wood, Michael (2010). "A Carolingian Scholar in the Court of King Æthelstan". In Rollason, David; Leyser, Conrad; Williams, Hannah (eds.). England and the Continent in the Tenth Century:Studies in Honour of Wilhelm Levison (1876-1947). Brepols. ISBN 9782503532080.
- Wood, Michael (1983). "The Making of King Aethelstan's Empire: An English Charlemagne?". In Wormald, Patrick; Bullough, Donald; Collins, Roger (eds.). Ideal and Reality in Frankish and Anglo-Saxon Society. Basil Blackwell. pp. 250–272. ISBN 0-631-12661-9.
- Theodred 3 at Prosopography of Anglo-Saxon England -- also covers Theodred I (bishop of Elmham)
- "S 1526: A.D. 942 x c. 951. Will of Theodred, bishop of London". The Electronic Sawyer. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
| Bishop of London
c. 915–c. 952
|This article about an English bishop or archbishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|