Theophilus Howard, 2nd Earl of Suffolk
|Theophilus Howard Suffolk|
The Earl of Suffolk
|Born||13 August 1584
Saffron Waldon, Essex, England
|Died||3 June 1640 (aged 55)
Charing Cross, London
Sir Theophilus Howard was named in the Second Charter of Virginia made by King James I on 23 May 1609. The members of this extensive list were "incorporated by the name of The Tresorer and Companie of Adventurers and Planters of the Citty of London for the Firste Collonie in Virginia."
He was the dedicatee of Shelton's translation of Don Quixote, the first translation of the work in any language. The translation of the first part of Don Quixote was published in London in 1612, while Cervantes was still alive. It is not known why Shelton chose Howard as dedicatee, although he was possibly a distant relative. He was also the dedicatee of John Dowland's last book of songs "A Pilgrimes Solace", also published in 1612.
Marriage and children
In March 1612, he married Elizabeth Home (d. 19 August 1633), daughter of George Home, 1st Earl of Dunbar. They had nine children:
- James Howard, 3rd Earl of Suffolk (c. 1620 – 1689)
- Thomas Howard
- Catherine Howard (died 1650), married first George Stewart, 9th Seigneur d'Aubigny (died 1642), second James Livingston, 1st Earl of Newburgh
- Elizabeth Howard (d. 11 March 1705), married on 1 October 1642 Algernon Percy, 10th Earl of Northumberland
- Margaret Howard, married Roger Boyle, 1st Earl of Orrery
- George Howard, 4th Earl of Suffolk (1625–1691)
- Henry Howard, 5th Earl of Suffolk (1627–1709)
- Anne Howard, married Thomas Walsingham
- Frances Howard (d. October 1677), married Sir Edward Villiers (died 1689)
- "HOWARD, Theophilus, Lord Howard de Walden (1584-1640), of Audley End, Essex and Suffolk House, The Strand, Westminster". History of Parliament Online. Retrieved 18 April 2014.
- Kelly, L. G.. “Shelton, Thomas (fl. 1598–1629).” L. G. Kelly in Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, edited by H. C. G. Matthew and Brian Harrison. Oxford: OUP, 2004. Online ed., edited by Lawrence Goldman, January 2008. http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/25318 (accessed November 24, 2014, subscription or UK public library membership required).
- "Image: ToLordWalden.jpg, (600 × 801 px)". culturebase.org. Retrieved 3 September 2015.
- "Howard pedigree 6". Retrieved 31 December 2006.
- "Howard, Theophilus". Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co. 1885–1900.
- Charles Mosley (ed.), Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th Edition, Wilmington, Delaware, 2003, vol III, pp. 3814–3817, ISBN 0-9711966-2-1