|Single by Radiohead|
|from the album Hail to the Thief|
"Where Bluebirds Fly"
|Released||26 May 2003|
|Length||5:23 (album version)|
4:44 (radio edit)
|Radiohead singles chronology|
"There There" is a song by the English rock band Radiohead. It was released as the lead single from their sixth album, Hail to the Thief (2003), on 6 May 2003. The song appears on Radiohead: The Best Of (2008).
Most of Hail to the Thief was recorded in two weeks at Ocean Way Recording studios in Hollywood, Los Angeles, in 2002, with Radiohead's longtime producer Nigel Godrich. Radiohead struggled to record a version of "There There" that satisfied them, and feared the song may be lost. After rerecording it in their Oxfordshire studio, Yorke was so relieved to have captured the song he wept, feeling it was the band's best work.
Yorke asked Bagpuss creator Oliver Postgate to create a music video for "There There", but Postgate, who was retired, declined. Instead, a stop-motion animation video was created by Chris Hopewell. The video debuted on the Times Square Jumbotron in New York on 20 May 2003, and received hourly play that day on MTV2. The video won the MTV Video Music Award for Best Art Direction at the 2003 MTV Video Awards.
"There There" reached number four in the UK Singles Chart and number one in Canada. It also received moderate airplay from US modern rock stations, peaking at number fourteen on the Hot Modern Rock Tracks chart, and was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal.
CD & 12":
- "There There" - 5:23
- "Paperbag Writer" - 3:58
- "Where Bluebirds Fly" - 4:32
- Thom Yorke
- Jonny Greenwood
- Ed O'Brien
- Colin Greenwood
- Philip Selway
|Japan||21 May 2003||Toshiba-EMI||CD||TOCP 40161|
|United Kingdom||26 May 2003||Parlophone||12"||12R6608|
This section needs additional citations for verification. (January 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Canadian Singles Chart||1|
|UK Singles Chart||4|
|Italian Singles Chart||5|
|Finland Singlies Chart||5|
|Ireland Singles Chart||7|
|Norwegian Singles Chart||8|
|Danish Singles Chart||9|
|Australian Singles Chart||28|
|Dutch Singles Chart||48|
|French Singles Chart||54|
|German Singles Chart||67|
|Swiss Singles Chart||76|
|US Billboard Hot Modern Rock Tracks||14|
|European Hot 100 Singles||7|
- "Radiohead - The Best Of at Discogs". Discogs. Retrieved 22 January 2018.
- Wiederhorn, Jon (19 June 2003). "Radiohead: A New Life". MTV. Retrieved 28 March 2007.
- "Radiohead Hail to the Thief – Interview CD" (Interview). 2003. Promotional interview CD sent to British music press.
- Osborn, Brad (2016). Everything in its Right Place: Analyzing Radiohead. Oxford University Press.
- "Thom Yorke on 'Hail to the Thief'". Xfm London. 2 July 2003. Archived from the original on 19 April 2012. Retrieved 20 February 2012.
- "Radiohead Artist Page". MusicEmissions.com. Retrieved 15 December 2007.
- NME Magazine, 10 May 2003
- Q, July 2003
- Cohen, Jonathan (14 June 2003). "Web Leak Fails to Deter Capitol's Radiohead Setup". Billboard.
- "2003 MTV Video Music Awards Winners - Billboard". Billboard. Retrieved 22 January 2018.
- on YouTube
- At Ease Web song info entry
- At Ease Web Discography entry
- Lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics