||The neutrality of this article is disputed. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Hicksville, New York U.S.
|Other names||Long Island Medium|
|Known for||Long Island Medium|
Caputo's claim of being a medium has been publicly challenged by multiple sources, ranging from television news programs like Inside Edition to print publications such as Wired Magazine. Caputo was described by D. J. Grothe as a charlatan, and James Randi said that her claims were not true.
In April 2012, the James Randi Educational Foundation awarded Caputo its Pigasus Award, a tongue-in-cheek award that seeks to expose parapsychological, paranormal or psychic frauds. The James Randi Education Foundation has been critical of Caputo's work.
In 2014, investigator Ron Tebo publicly accused Caputo of fraud. According to Tebo, Caputo engages in several forms of deception, including sending staff members to interview audience members in advance in order to be able to pretend that she acquires knowledge from communicating with the deceased.
Paranormal investigator Massimo Polidoro calls Caputo a "performer" and reports on an investigation done by Inside Edition and mentalist Mark Edward who attended one of her live shows in 2012. Edward states that Caputo uses social media to learn details about people in the audience and relay information gained as if it came from the spirit world. This is possible because when purchasing tickets for her shows, the ticket purchased is linked to a specific seat in the audience and that seat is linked to a social media profile. In one case Edward noted that Caputo called on a woman and said '"Why am I picking up baby clothes?"' To which the woman answered, '"Oh, that's weird. I just put up a bunch of pictures of baby clothes on my Facebook page."' Polidoro also states that the first two rows of the audience are filled with people Caputo already knows. James Randi according to Polidoro believes that Caputo will not last long, she will be elbowed out when '"someone with a newer novelty"' arrives.
Caputo has been married to Larry Caputo for over 20 years. They have two children, who have both appeared on the show: Larry Caputo, Jr. and Victoria Caputo.
- Long Island Medium – Theresa Caputo
- Saturday Night Live – Herself/Various/Host (Theresa Caputo/Kid Cudi Season 42 premiere)
- The View
- Late Night Joy – Herself
- Live! with Kelly – Herself
- Agard, Chancellor (1 January 2016). "The Long Island Medium Dishes on Seeing Famous Ghosts". People. Retrieved 3 January 2016.
- Miller, Bruce R. (10 October 2014). "Medium Theresa Caputo finds plenty of interest in her abililty to speak with the dead". Sioux City Journal. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
- Cook, Michael (21 December 2015). ""Long Island Medium" Theresa Caputo -- "You Can't Put A Price On What I Am Able To Give People"". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 3 January 2016.
- Keeperman, Brittany. "Spirited energy: 'Long Island Medium' Theresa Caputo to appear at the Convo". Daily Chronicle. Retrieved 7 April 2016.
- "The Long Island Medium – Can she really communicate with the dead?". Inside Edition. 2012-11-08. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- Stewart, Dodai (2012-10-20). "Super sad and misguided Emails intended for the Long Island Medium". Jezebel. Gawker Media. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- Randi, James (2012-04-09). "The 'Medium' is not the messenger". Wired Magazine. Retrieved 2013-05-19.
- Grothe, DJ. "Priceline.com: Will you prove your spokesperson worthy for a million dollars?". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2012-08-15.
- "2012 Pigasus Awards Announcement" (YouTube video). James Randi Educational Foundation. March 30, 2012. Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- Stollznow, Dr. Karen (27 June 2012). "Long Island Medium: A Tall Story". James Randi Educational Foundation. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
- "Is The Long Island Medium A Phony? Reality Star Theresa Caputo Subject Of Fraud Investigation, Audience Complaints: 'After Tonight, I Am No Longer A Believer!' Rages One Grieving Mom". Radar Online. June 4, 2014. Retrieved October 12, 2014.
- Fenwick Elliott, Annabel. "'She's a vulture preying on the most vulnerable': Long Island Medium Theresa Caputo is branded a 'fake' by private investigator". Daily Mail. Retrieved October 12, 2014.
- Cavazini, Katherine (June 9, 2014). "Skeptic: 'Long Island Medium' a phony!". CNN. Retrieved October 12, 2014.
- Schumann, Redecka (June 6, 2014). "Is Theresa Caputo A Fake? 'Long Island Medium' Star Bashed By Investigator". International Business Times. Retrieved October 12, 2014.
- Polidoro, Massimo (June 2016). "Theresa Caputo: The Fake Long Island Medium". Skeptical Inquirer. 40 (3): 16–17.
- Kovats, Kirstie (4 May 2015). "Larry Caputo Interview: Long Island Medium". Inked Magazine. Retrieved 4 January 2016.