|Other names||Long Island Medium|
|Known for||Long Island Medium|
Larry Caputo (m. 1989–2018)(divorce filed)
|Parent(s)||Nicholas Brigandi (father) Veronica Brigandi (mother)|
Caputo was born and raised in Hicksville, New York, on Long Island to Veronica (née Wells) and Nicholas J. Brigandi. Her father was a firefigher for the Fire Department of New York. She is of mostly Italian ancestry, with some English and Norwegian roots.
Caputo's claim of being a medium has been publicly challenged by multiple sources, ranging from television news programs such as Inside Edition to print publications such as Wired Magazine. Caputo was described by D. J. Grothe as a charlatan, and James Randi said her claims were not true.
In April 2012, the James Randi Educational Foundation awarded Caputo its Pigasus Award, a tongue-in-cheek award that seeks to expose parapsychological, paranormal or psychic frauds. The James Randi Education Foundation has been critical of Caputo's work.
A newspaper review of Caputo's performances at the NYCB Theatre at Westbury in late 2017 concluded, "For me, this unbelievable experience was simply that: not to be believed. In my humble opinion, Caputo is a damn good performer, and she’s got undeniably likable sass and charisma. I just don’t think she speaks with the dead. Or she didn’t the night that I saw her. But my father probably could have told you that."
Paranormal investigator Massimo Polidoro calls Caputo a "performer" and reports on an investigation done by Inside Edition and mentalist Mark Edward who attended one of her live shows in 2012. In 2013, illusionist Criss Angel, offered Caputo $1 million to prove her claims.
On December 3, 2017, Caputo and her husband Larry Caputo jointly announced they were separating after 28 years of marriage. They have two children, who have both appeared on the show: Larry Caputo Jr. and Victoria Caputo. On June 27, 2018, Larry, who moved to Los Angeles following the separation from Theresa, told TMZ that he and Theresa were getting a divorce.
- 2011–present: Long Island Medium – Theresa Caputo
Works and publications
- Caputo, Theresa; Grish, Kristina (2013). There's More to Life Than This: Healing Messages, Remarkable Stories, and Insight About the Other Side from the Long Island Medium (1st Atria Books hardcover edition. ed.). Pocket Books. ISBN 978-1-4767-2703-5. OCLC 872588683.
- Caputo, Theresa (2014). You Can't Make This Stuff Up: Life Changing Lessons from Heaven. Pocket Books. ISBN 978-1-4767-6443-6. OCLC 903630815.
- Caputo, Theresa (2017). Good Grief: Heal Your Soul, Honor Your Loved Ones, and Learn to Live Again. Atria Books. ISBN 978-1-5011-3908-6.
- Stone, Natalie (September 27, 2016). "Long Island Medium's Theresa Caputo Reveals One of the Most Shocking Readings She's Ever Done". People. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- Guglielmi, Jodi (October 2, 2018). "Long Island Medium's Theresa Caputo Sits Down with Ex Husband Larry After Split". People.
- Lovece, Frank (October 2, 2018). "Theresa Caputo meets with estranged husband in 'Long Island Medium' new-season preview". Newsday. Long Island.
...the Hicksville born-and-raised mentalist, 52...
- McNeil, Liz (March 17, 2017). "Long Island Medium's Theresa Caputo Endured Decades of Anxiety Because She Feared Communicating with the Dead". People. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- Merritt, Jim (December 15, 2014). "'Long Island Medium' Theresa Caputo, at home in Hicksville". Newsday. New York City / Long Island. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
Caputo, 47(subscription required)
- Caputo gives birth date as June 10, 1967: "50 and feeling fabulous!...#birthdaygirl". Theresa Caputo verified Instagram page. June 10, 2017. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- Agard, Chancellor (1 January 2016). "The Long Island Medium Dishes on Seeing Famous Ghosts". People. Retrieved 3 January 2016.
- Miller, Bruce R. (10 October 2014). "Medium Theresa Caputo finds plenty of interest in her ability to speak with the dead". Sioux City Journal. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
- Caputo, Theresa. "Biography". Theresa Caputo verified Facebook page. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
I was born and raised on Long Island in Hicksville, NY.
- Dyball, Rennie (September 7, 2012). "Everything You'd Want to Ask the Long Island Medium ... Answered". People. Retrieved September 10, 2016.
- Cook, Michael (21 December 2015). ""Long Island Medium" Theresa Caputo -- "You Can't Put A Price On What I Am Able To Give People"". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 3 January 2016.
- Keeperman, Brittany. "Spirited energy: 'Long Island Medium' Theresa Caputo to appear at the Convo". Daily Chronicle. Retrieved 7 April 2016.
- "The Long Island Medium – Can She Really Communicate with the Dead?". Inside Edition. August 11, 2012. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- Stewart, Dodai (October 20, 2012). "Super Sad and Misguided Emails Intended for the Long Island Medium". Jezebel.com. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- Randi, James (2012-04-09). "The 'Medium' is not the messenger". Wired Magazine. Retrieved 2013-05-19.
- Grothe, DJ. "Priceline.com: Will you prove your spokesperson worthy for a million dollars?". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2012-08-15.
- "2012 Pigasus Awards Announcement" (YouTube video). James Randi Educational Foundation. March 30, 2012. Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- Stollznow, Dr. Karen (27 June 2012). "Long Island Medium: A Tall Story". James Randi Educational Foundation. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
- Franchi, Jaime (December 7, 2014). "My Not-So-Psychic Experience with Long Island Medium Theresa Caputo". Long Island Press.
- Polidoro, Massimo (June 2016). "Theresa Caputo: The Fake Long Island Medium". Skeptical Inquirer. 40 (3): 16–17.
- Lovece, Frank (October 15, 2013). "Criss Angel on his new show, 'BeLIEve': 'It's healthy' to be skeptical". Newsday. New York City / Long Island. Retrieved December 7, 2017.
The Long Island Medium is just another charlatan. Any time she wants, we'll put her through a series of tests and I'll offer a million-dollar challenge to her. And you can put that in black and white.(subscription required)
- Gerbic, Susan. "Ten Tricks of the Psychics I Bet You Didn't Know". Committee for Skeptical Inquiry. Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- Petit, Stephanie (December 3, 2017). "Long Island Medium Theresa Caputo Separates from Husband Larry After 28 Years of Marriage". People. Retrieved December 3, 2017.
- Kovats, Kirstie (4 May 2015). "Larry Caputo Interview: Long Island Medium". Inked Magazine. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
- "'Long Island Medium' Couple Moving Forward With Divorce". TMZ. Retrieved 16 July 2018.