|Yam hawk moth|
|Theretra nessus, In Mangaon, Maharashtra, India|
It is found in Sri Lanka, India (including the Andaman and Nicobar Islands), Nepal, Burma, Thailand, southern China, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, Malaysia, Indonesia, northern Australia and New Caledonia. It is a recent immigrant in Oahu.
The wingspan is 90–130 mm. Head, thorax and a stripe down center of abdomen is green in color suffused with ferrugineous. Thorax is with a lateral grey stripe and abdomen is golden yellow in color at sides. Fore wings are olive-brown and the base with a patch of black and white on the inner margin. A black dot is present at end of cell. A postmedial waved oblique line met by three straight oblique lines from the apex at inner margin. Hind wings are black-brown in color where the anal angle is ochreous, which color extends towards the apex as a submarginal band. Ventral side is suffused with reddish ochreous color.
Larva is bluish green in color, with a subdorsal line with oblique streaks below it on 4th to 10th somites. Ocellus on 4th somite is greenish with a black ring. Horn is yellowish. Larvae have been recorded on Amaranthus, Barringtonia, Discorea, Amorphophallus, Impatiens, Citrullus, Arathis, Boerhavia, Knoxia, Morinda, Oldenlandia, Pongamia, Spermacoce, Glossostigma and Camellia.
- Theretra nessus nessus - nominate from South Asia and South East Asian countries
- Theretra nessus albata Fukuda, 2003 (Fiji, New Caledonia, the Loyalty Islands and Rossel Island at the extreme eastern end of the Louisiade Archipelago)
- "CATE Creating a Taxonomic eScience - Sphingidae". Cate-sphingidae.org. Archived from the original on 2012-10-22. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- "Theretra nessus". Butterfly House. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- Hampson G. F. (1892). "The Fauna Of British India Including Ceylon And Burma Moths Vol-i". Digital Library of India. p. 558. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- "Yam hawkmoth". Sphingidae of the Eastern Palaearctic species list. Retrieved 29 July 2016.
- "Theretra nessus Drury". The Moths of Borneo. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
|This Theretra-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|