|Imago of type species T. lausus from below|
|Some 20 described species, but see text|
Several, see text
Thereus is a genus of gossamer-winged butterflies (family Lycaenidae). Among these, it belongs belong to the tribe Eumaeini of the subfamily Theclinae. These small butterflies occur essentially all over the Neotropics.
Though this genus was first proposed long ago, for much of the time Thereus was included in the "wastebin genus" Thecla. However, the two genera are not particularly close relatives among their subfamily. In recent times, it has been proposed to remove several species from Thereus to smaller or even monotypic genera. While this might be warranted in some cases, it is not followed here pending more thorough study.
- Molus Hübner, 
- Noreena K.Johnson[verification needed], MacPherson & Ingraham, 1986
- Pedusa D'Abrera, 2001 (may be nomen nudum)
- Solanorum Johnson, 1992
- Timokla Johnson[verification needed], Kruse & Kroenlein, 1997
- Thereus brocki Robbins, Heredia & Busby, 2015
- Thereus caltha (Druce, 1907)
- Thereus cithonius (Godart, ) (type species of Noreena)
- Thereus columbicola (Strand, 1916)
- Thereus endera (Hewitson, 1867)
- Thereus enenia (Hewitson, 1867) (tentatively placed here)
- Thereus eryssus (Herbst, 1800)
- Thereus gabathana (Strand, 1918)
- Thereus genena (Hewitson, 1867)
- Thereus guianivaga (Johnson, 1989)
- Thereus illex (Schaus, 1902)
- Thereus ismarus (Cramer, ) (type species of Molus)
- Thereus lausus (Cramer, )
- Thereus lomalarga Robbins, Heredia & Busby, 2015
- Thereus lutzi (Huntington, 1932)
- Thereus molena (Jones, 1912)
- Thereus oppia (Godman & Salvin, )
- Thereus orasus (Godman & Salvin, )
- Thereus ortalus (Godman & Salvin, )
- Thereus pedusa (Hewitson, 1867) (type species of "Pedusa")
- Thereus praxis (Godman & Salvin, )
- Thereus pseudarcula (Giacomelli, 1914) (type species of Solanorum)
- Thereus tiasa (Hewitson, 1869)
- Thereus timoclea (Hewitson, 1870)
- Thereus wojtusiaki Bálint, 2006
In addition, a number of as yet undescribed butterflies are suspected to belong here too:
- Thereus sp. 'Amazonia'
- Thereus sp. 'Bahia'
- Thereus sp. 'Guatemala'
- Thereus sp. 'Ecuador 1'
- Thereus sp. 'Ecuador 2'
- Thereus sp. 'Panama 1'
- Thereus sp. 'Panama 2'
- ?Thereus sp. 'Panama 3' (tentatively placed here)
- Thereus sp. 'Peru'
Data related to Thereus at Wikispecies
- See references in Savela (2011)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Thereus.|
- Savela, Markku (2011): Markku Savela's Lepidoptera and some other life forms – Thereus. Version of December 24, 2011. Retrieved April 1, 2012.
|This Theclinae-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|