Thermo Fisher Scientific
The world leader in serving science
|Traded as||NYSE: TMO
S&P 500 Component
|Founded||2006 by merger of Thermo Electron and Fisher Scientific|
|Headquarters||Waltham, Massachusetts, USA|
|Marc N. Casper (President & CEO)
Joe Beery (CIO)
|Products||Analytical instruments, equipment, reagents and consumables, software and services for research, manufacturing, analysis, discovery and diagnostics|
|Revenue||$18.27 billion (2016)|
|$2.45 billion (2016)|
Number of employees
|65,000 (2017)|
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an American multinational biotechnology product development company, created in 2006 by the merger of Thermo Electron and Fisher Scientific. In April 2013, after a competitive bidding with Hoffmann-La Roche, Thermo Fisher acquired Life Technologies Corp for $13.6 billion in a deal that would rank the firm as one of the leading companies in the genetic testing and precision laboratory equipment markets.
Predecessors and merger
Thermo Electron was co-founded in 1956 by George N. Hatsopoulos and Peter M Nomikos. Hatsopoulos is a MIT PhD in mechanical engineering and Nomikos a Harvard Business School graduate. It focused on providing analytical and laboratory products and services, and had revenues of over $2 billion in 2004.
Fisher Scientific was founded in 1902 by Chester G. Fisher from Pittsburgh. It focused on providing laboratory equipment, chemicals, supplies and services used in healthcare, scientific research, safety, and education.
On May 14, 2006, Thermo Electron and Fisher Scientific announced that they would merge in a tax-free, stock-for-stock exchange; the merged company was named Thermo Fisher Scientific. On November 9, 2006, the companies announced that the merger had been completed. However, the Federal Trade Commission ruled that this acquisition was anticompetitive with regard to centrifugal evaporators, requiring Fisher to divest Genevac. In April 2007, Genevac was sold to Riverlake Partners LLC and the merger closed with FTC approval.
Currently, the company's products are sold under the brand names of Thermo Scientific, Fisher Scientific, and several other recognized brand names (e.g. Chromacol, Nalgene, Cellomics, Pierce Protein Research and Fermentas). According to company figures, 46% of its sales are in life sciences, 20% in healthcare, and 34% in industrial/environmental and safety.
Thermo Fisher has offices and operations in many countries, notably the U.S. and in Europe.
In 2013 Thermo Fisher agreed to buy Life Technologies for $13.6 billion. The sale was completed on 4 February 2014, and the Life Technologies brand became part of the Life Sciences Solutions Group of Thermo Fisher Scientific.
In February 2015, the company announced it would acquire Advanced Scientifics for $300 million in a cash-deal. ASI designs, manufactures and delivers technologies used in bioprocessing solutions. In June 2015, the company announced its intention to acquire Alfa Aesar, a global manufacturer of research chemicals for $405 million from Johnson Matthey, and the acquisition was completed at the end of September
In January 2016, the company announced it would acquire Affymetrix for $1.3 billion. On May 27, 2016, the company announced it would acquire FEI Company for $4.2 billion, a manufacturer of electron microscopes. This acquisition is anticipated to close in early 2017 and will contribute to the growth of Thermo's Analytical Instruments business group. In November the company announced it would acquire MTI-GlobalStem, a previously privately held company that develops reagents for cell transfection, neurobiology and stem cell research.
In February 2017, the company acquired Finesse Solutions, Inc., developer of scalable control automation systems and software for bioproduction after receiving early termination of the waiting period under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act. The transaction was completed a day later. In March, the company announced it would acquire Core Informatics, provider of cloud-based platforms supporting scientific data management. In May, the company announced it would acquire CDMO, Patheon, for $7.2 billion.
The following is an illustration of the company's major mergers and acquisitions and historical predecessors (this is not a comprehensive list):
Acquisitions and brands currently owned by Thermo-Fisher
This section needs additional citations for verification. (July 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Affymetrix 
- Acros Organics BVBA,
- Alfa Aesar,
- Allied Analytical Systems,
- Amdel Instrumentation,
- Applied Research Laboratories,
- ATI Instruments North America,
- B•R•A•H•M•S USA, Inc.,
- Best Inspection,
- Brandt Instruments,
- Carlo Erba,
- CE Instruments,
- CIDTEC, Inc.,
- Clintrak Clinical Labeling Services, LLC
- Cohesive Technologies,
- Consolidated Technologies, Inc.,
- CRS Ltd.,
- Diagnostix, Ltd.,
- Dionex Corporation,
- Doe and Ingalls,
- DRI Microgenics,
- Eberline LLC,
- EC Apparatus,
- EGS Gauging, Inc.,
- EnviroTech Controls,
- Epoxyn Products L.L.C.,
- Erie Handcare,
- Erie Scientific Company,
- FEI Company
- Fermentas Inc.,
- Fisons Instruments,
- Flow Automation,
- Fluid Data,
- Flux Instruments,
- Forma Scientific,
- Gamma-Metrics LLC,
- GH Flow Automation,
- GK Intertest,
- Gold Seal,
- Goring Kerr Ltd,
- Hascal Systems,
- Helix MC,
- Heraeus,
- Herz and Partner,
- Houston Atlas,
- Hypersil-Keystone LLC,
- Instrumentation Laboratory,
- Intertest Ltd,
- Ion Torrent,
- Don Sandora Science
- Kay Ray,
- Keystone Scientific,
- KeyTek LLC,
- LabSystems, Inc.,
- Life Technologies Corporation,
- Lindberg Blue M,
- Magellan Biosciences,
- MAS SeraMag,
- Material Testing,
- Matrix Technologies LLC,
- Max Q,
- Measuretech Canada Inc.,
- MF Physics Corporation,
- Microgenics Corporation,
- MIE, Inc.
- Milton Roy,
- Molecular BioProducts Inc,
- MSC Moisture Systems,
- Nalge Nunc International Corporation,
- Nicolet Industrial Solutions,
- Nicolet Instrument,
- Nippon Jarrell Ash,
- Niton Analyzers LLC,
- NORAN Instruments,
- Northern Scientific,
- NovaWave Technologies, Inc.,
- Novodirect (Germany)
- Nuclear Semiconductor,
- Omega Data Systems,
- One Lambda,
- Orion Inc.,
- Owl Separation Systems,
- Peek Measurement,
- Phadia US Inc.,
- Philips Scientific,
- Pierce Biotechnology, Inc,
- Puffer Hubbard,
- PV Dry II,
- Pye Unicam,
- Ramsey Inc.,
- Ramsey Mesulect,
- Ramsey Process Controls,
- RCCI Australia,
- Richard-Allan Scientific Company,
- Rupprecht and Patashnick,
- Sentron Canada Inc.,
- SLM Instruments,
- Spectronic Instruments,
- Tecno Europa,
- Texas Nuclear,
- Thermedics Detection de Mexico,
- Thermo Shandon,
- TJA Solutions,
- TN Technologies,
- Tokeim Automation,
- Tracor Northern,
- Trek Diagnostic Systems, Inc.,
- Unicam Vacuum Generators,
- Unity Lab Services,
- Veeco,
- VG Scientific,
- "Pierce Antibodies". pierce-antibodies.com.
- "Fisher Scientific". fishersci.com.
- Brennan, Zachary (March 2013). "Price of Life Tech Steady at $11B as Roche Joins Bidding War". Outsourcing-Pharma.com. Retrieved 2017-08-03.
- Bill Berkrot and Susan Kelly (15 April 2013). "Thermo Fisher to buy Life Tech for $13.6 billion". Reuters.
- "Equipamentos e produtos para laboratórios - Analítica". analiticaweb.com.br.
- http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/founders/Thermo.html Company founding
- "Financial Statements for Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. - Google Finance". google.com.
- "PPG Vice President Fisher Dies.". thefreelibrary.com.
- "Thermo Fisher Scientific : Corporate Profile".
- Merger of Thermo Electron and Fisher Scientific Completed, Forming Thermo Fisher Scientific, press release, November 9, 2006
- Merger of Thermo and Fisher anticompetitive, FTC Ruling
- 3 April 2007. Riverlake Partners, LLC Acquires UK-based Genevac, Ltd. Press Release.
- FTC consent to Genevac divestiture, FTC news release
- "Thermo Fisher Rises to Record After $3.5 Billion Phadia Buy". Bloomberg.
- "Thermo Fisher Scientific Acquires Single-Use Specialist ASI for $300 Million - GEN News Highlights - GEN". GEN.
- "Thermo Fisher Scientific Agrees to Acquire Research Chemicals Firm". GEN.
- "Thermo Fisher Scientific - Thermo Fisher Scientific Completes Acquisition of Alfa Aesar to Significantly Expand Laboratory Chemicals Offering". Retrieved 5 January 2016.
- "Thermo Fisher Scientific to Acquire Affymetrix for $1.3B - GEN Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - Biotech from Bench to Business - GEN".
- Hallam, Kristen (27 May 2016). "Thermo Fisher Scientific to Buy FEI for About $4.2 Billion". Bloomberg. Retrieved 2016-05-28.
- Schultz, Clark (27 May 2016). "Thermo Fisher Scientific lands FEI Company". Seeking Alpha. FEI. Retrieved 2016-05-27.
- Seiffert, Don (27 May 2016). "Thermo CEO mum on whether he had competitors in $4.2B bid for FEI". Boston Business Journal. Retrieved 31 May 2016.
- "Thermo Fisher Scientific Acquires MTI-GlobalStem - Thermo Fisher Scientific eNews". news.thermofisher.com.
- "Thermo Fisher Scientific Receives Early Termination of Hart-Scott-Rodino Waiting Period for Acquisition of Finesse Solutions, Inc. - Thermo Fisher Scientific eNews". news.thermofisher.com.
- "Thermo Fisher Scientific Completes Acquisition of Finesse Solutions, Inc. - Thermo Fisher Scientific eNews". news.thermofisher.com.
- "Thermo Fisher Scientific Acquires Core Informatics, Provider of Leading Cloud-Based Scientific Data Platforms - Thermo Fisher Scientific eNews". news.thermofisher.com.
- "Thermo Fisher Scientific to Acquire Patheon for $7.2B - GEN Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - Biotech from Bench to Business - GEN". GEN.
- "Thermo Fisher Scientific - Fisher Scientific Expands Presence in Molecular Diagnostics; Company to Acquire Athena Diagnostics from Behrman Capital and Purchase 9 Percent of Nanogen".
- "Thermo Fisher Scientific - Thermo Electron Completes Acquisition of Kendro Laboratory Products".
- "Thermo Fisher Scientific - Thermo Electron Acquires Provider of Continuous Air Quality Monitoring Instruments".
- "Thermo Fisher Scientific - Thermo Electron Acquires Leading Provider of Portable X-Ray Analyzers".
- "Thermo Fisher Scientific - Thermo Electron Acquires InnaPhase Corporation".
- "Thermo Fisher Scientific - Thermo Electron Acquires US Counseling Services, Inc.".
- "Thermo Fisher Scientific - Thermo Electron Completes Acquisition of Jouan SA".
- "Thermo Fisher Scientific - Thermo Electron Acquires Laboratory Services Provider LMSi".
- "404" (PDF). www.thermofisher.com.
- "Thermo Fisher Scientific to Acquire Affymetrix".
- "Life Technologies" (PDF). www.bioimage.com. Retrieved 2017-04-24.