These Are My People
|"These Are My People"|
|Single by Rodney Atkins|
|from the album If You're Going Through Hell|
|Released||March 19, 2007|
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Rodney Atkins singles chronology|
"These Are My People" is a song written by Dave Berg and Rivers Rutherford, and recorded by American country music artist Rodney Atkins. It was released in March 2007 as the third single from his platinum album If You're Going Through Hell, as well as the third straight Number One single from that album.
The song is an up-tempo which is introduced by a fiddle solo, with guitar also accompanying. The lyrics are the narrator's description of his rural lifestyle: specifically, the friends with whom he plays church league softball and drinks beer at a bar. The first verse references three Lynyrd Skynyrd songs: "Gimme Three Steps", "Simple Man", and "The Ballad of Curtis Loew". "Lovin' and laughin' and bustin' our asses", a line from the first verse, was changed to "…bustin' our backs" in the radio edit.
J. Poet of Allmusic described the song favorably, saying that "It's a string of clichés, the kind of song that can sink under its own sentimental weight, but Atkins delivers it with a sly humor that makes it believable."
The music video was directed by Eric Welch and premiered in early 2007.
"These Are My People" debuted at number 57 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs for the week of March 24, 2007.
|US Billboard Hot 100||42|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||4|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- "Rodney Atkins Closes in on Another No. 1". GAC.com. 2007-08-20. Retrieved 2007-08-23.
- Watts, Cindy (2007-10-26). "Rodney Atkins celebrates "My People" success". The Tennesseean. Retrieved 2007-12-28.
- Poet, J. "If You're Going Through Hell review". Allmusic. Retrieved March 7, 2012.
- "Rodney Atkins – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Rodney Atkins. Retrieved February 10, 2011.
- "Rodney Atkins – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Rodney Atkins. Retrieved February 10, 2011.
- "Best of 2007: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2007. Retrieved December 13, 2007.
- "American single certifications – Rodney Atkins – These Are My People". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved September 27, 2012. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
"Never Wanted Nothing More"
by Kenny Chesney
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
September 8, 2007
"More Than a Memory"
by Garth Brooks