Theta Upsilon Omega
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
||It has been suggested that this article be merged into Sigma Phi Epsilon. (Discuss) Proposed since April 2017.|
Theta Upsilon Omega (ΘΥΩ), or TUO, was a national collegiate fraternity. Representatives of several local fraternities at a December 1, 1923 meeting of the National Interfraternity Conference concluded to form a new national through amalgamation, resulting in the creation of Theta Upsilon Omega on May 2, 1924.
The following nine locals were part of this meeting and concluded to form Theta Upsilon Omega.
- Delta Tau, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
- Phi Kappa Pi, Stevens Institute of Technology
- Zeus Fraternity, University of Illinois
- Kappa Sigma Phi, Temple University
- Beta Kappa Psi, Bucknell University
- Kappa Tau Omega, The George Washington University
- Sigma Beta, University of New Hampshire
- Delta Kappa Nu, Penn State University
- Phi Delta Pi, Davidson College
In addition, at the Charter Arch Convocation (held at Bucknell on February 21-23, 1924), Pi Rho Phi of Westminster College petitioned for membership and was granted as the youngest charter chapter.
Merle C. Cowden, of Worcester, was chosen first national president.
Additional chapters were chartered, but growth stalled during the Great Depression. In 1938, following negotiations, TUO merged with Sigma Phi Epsilon. Four TUO chapters merged with existing SigEp chapters, and seven others were rechartered as such.
Full chapter list
The charters as of December 1937 were:
- Beta Alpha, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, 1924
- Gamma Alpha, Stevens Institute of Technology, 1924
- Delta Alpha, University of Illinois, 1924
- Epsilon Alpha, Temple University, 1924
- Zeta Alpha, Bucknell University, 1924
- Eta Alpha, The George Washington University, 1924
- Theta Alpha, University of New Hampshire, 1924
- Iota Alpha, Penn State University, 1924
- Kappa Alpha, Davidson College, 1924
- Lambda Alpha, Westminster College, 1924
- Beta Beta, Miami University, 1925
- Gamma Beta, University of California, 1925
- Delta Beta, Muhlenberg College, 1928
- Epsilon Beta, University of Alabama, 1929 (inactive as of 1934)
- Zeta Beta, Monmouth College, 1930
- Eta Beta, Alabama Polytechnic Institute, 1930
- Theta Beta, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1933
- "The Chapter Arch Convocation". The Omegan of Theta Upsilon Omega. Vol. 1 no. 1. April 1, 1924. p. 11.
- Taylor, Herbert Foster. Seventy Years of the Worcester Polytechnic Institute, 1937. p.324
- Adams, John P., ed. The Lifetime Responsibility of Brotherhood: Sigma Phi Epsilon. Rand McNally, 2000. p. 74
- "Directory of Chapters". The Omegan of Theta Upsilon Omega. Vol. 14 no. 4. December 1937. p. 82.