Downtown Thetford Mines
Fervet Opus (Latin)
"Hard Work Prevails"
Location within Les Appalaches RCM
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Constituted||October 17, 2001|
|• Mayor||Marc-Alexandre Brousseau|
|• Federal riding||Mégantic—L'Érable|
|• Prov. riding||Lotbinière-Frontenac|
|• City||227.70 km2 (87.92 sq mi)|
|• Land||226.82 km2 (87.58 sq mi)|
|• Metro||406.98 km2 (157.14 sq mi)|
|• Density||113.3/km2 (293/sq mi)|
|• Metro density||68.7/km2 (178/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2006-2011||0.0%|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
G6G & G6H
|Area code(s)||418 and 581|
|Highways|| Route 112 |
Thetford Mines was founded in 1876 after the discovery of large asbestos deposits in the area, and the city became a hub for one of the world's largest asbestos-producing regions. In 2001 the city expanded to its current boundaries, merging with the towns of Black Lake, Robertsonville, Pontbriand and Thetford-Sud.
Köppen-Geiger climate classification system classifies its climate as humid continental (Dfb). Winters are very cold, rainy and snowy, while summers are warm and rainy when it receives more precipitation.
|Climate data for Thetford Mines|
|Average high °C (°F)||−6.8
|Daily mean °C (°F)||−12
|Average low °C (°F)||−17.1
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||75
This section has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Given the abundance of snow for several months in winter, it is a popular area for snowmobiling and four-wheel drive vehicles as well as for downhill and cross-country skiing.
The city is home to the minor-pro ice hockey team the Thetford Mines Assurancia, who are members of the Ligue Nord-Américaine de Hockey (LNAH). They play home games at Centre Mario Gosselin. Thetford Mines is the only city to have hosted an LNAH team in every season since the league's 1996 inception. The city has ringette and hockey organisations for the youth, and there are yearly tournaments for ringette and minor Hockey players, as well as old-timers hockey tournaments.
Spring is maple syrup producing time in the area. The numerous stands of maple trees in the region makes it one of the top maple syrup producing regions in the world. In March and early April, local citizens often make a ritual outing to one of the area's sugar camps (or cabanes à sucre) for sugaring off parties where maple syrup, reduced and thickened by slow boiling, is poured over fresh snow to create a delightful taffy.
Summer brings a host of other outdoor activities. An abundance of lakes and rivers provide plenty of opportunities for outdoor gatherings and cool refreshment. A series of summer festivals add to the enjoyment of the season, with sporting events, concerts and fireworks.
The same maples that produce syrup in spring, provide brilliant displays of colour in autumn.
- Michaëlle Jean, former Governor General of Canada and current Secretary-General of La Francophonie. She originally settled in Thetford Mines, after immigrating to Canada from Haiti
- Raymond Setlakwe, entrepreneur, lawyer, and former Quebec senator
- Bob Fillion, late hockey player with the Montreal Canadiens
- Simon Gamache, hockey player, formerly in the NHL
- Mario Gosselin, hockey player
- Michel Louvain, French Canadian singer and television presenter
- Patrice Tardif, hockey player, formerly in the NHL
- Daniel Poudrier, retired hockey player, city councillor
- Jean-François Lisée, former leader of the Parti Québécois, former Leader of the Opposition in Quebec, and former member of the National Assembly of Quebec for the electoral district of Rosemont
- Reference number 293447 of the Commission de toponymie du Québec (in French)
- Geographic code 31084 in the official Répertoire des municipalités (in French)
- "(Code 2431084) Census Profile". 2011 census. Statistics Canada. 2012.
- Thetford Mines (Census agglomeration), Quebec 2011 Census Profile. The census agglomeration consists of Thetford Mines, Saint-Adrien-d'Irlande, Saint-Joseph-de-Coleraine. In the 2006 census, the census agglomeration had not included Saint-Joseph-de-Coleraine.
- Territorial Division Act. Revised Statutes of Quebec D-11.
- "Climate: Thetford Mines - Climate graph, Temperature graph, Climate table". Climate-Data.org. Retrieved 31 August 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Thetford Mines.|