Thetford Bridge railway station
|Original company||Thetford and Watton Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Great Eastern Railway|
|Post-grouping||London and North Eastern Railway|
|15 November 1875||Station opened|
|8 June 1953||Station closed|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
The railway line between Bury St Edmunds and Thetford was proposed by the Bury St Edmunds and Thetford Railway (B&TR) and authorised on 5 July 1865; but the company had problems in raising the necessary money. After assistance was given by the Thetford and Watton Railway (T&WR), the plan was modified, and instead of running to the main station at Thetford, a curve was built so that T&WR trains from Swaffham could run directly to the Bury St Edmunds line without reversing at Thetford. This curve was opened first, on 15 November 1875, along with Thetford Bridge station. The B&TR line between Bury St Edmunds and Thetford Bridge was opened on 1 March 1876. The B&TR was purchased by the Great Eastern Railway (GER) in 1878.
Trains on the B&TR were operated by the T&WR until 1879, when operation was taken over by the GER; after this, trains from Bury began to run to Thetford; the east to south curve at Thetford Bridge was not used after 1880. Thetford Bridge was then the last station before Thetford.
In September 1911 the station was used as a railhead by the British Army who were running a series of war games. 
In January 1923 the station was taken over by the London & North Eastern Railway.
Following nationalization in 1948 Thetford Bridge was operated by British Railways (Eastern Region).
The station closed on 8 June 1953.
- Awdry, Christopher (1990). Encyclopaedia of British Railway Companies. London: Guild Publishing. p. 120. CN 8983.
- McCarthy, Colin; McCarthy, David; Cobb, Michael (August 2007). Waller, Peter, ed. Railways of Britain: Norfolk and Suffolk. Hersham: Ian Allan. p. 6. ISBN 978-0-7110-3223-1. 0708/c1.
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 228. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.
- Allen, Cecil J. (1956) . The Great Eastern Railway (2nd ed.). Hampton Court: Ian Allan. p. 217.
- Awdry 1990, p. 166
- McCarthy, McCarthy & Cobb 2007, map 26
- Conolly, W. Philip (January 1976). British Railways Pre-Grouping Atlas and Gazetteer (5th ed.). Shepperton: Ian Allan. p. 12, section B5. ISBN 0-7110-0320-3. EX/0176.
- Ashton, Geoff; C Moss; D Challis (July 2013). "A revealing portrait of Thetford Bridge Station in 1911". Great Eastern Railway Journal. 155: 23.
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
Line closed, station open
|Great Eastern Railway
Thetford to Bury St Edmunds line
Line and station closed