|Single by Jem|
|from the album Finally Woken|
13 March 2005 (Europe)
|Genre||Trip hop, breakbeat|
|Writer(s)||Jem, Gerard Young, JS Bach|
|Producer(s)||Jem, Yoad Nevo, Ge-ology|
|Jem singles chronology|
"They" is the first single released by Jem from her debut album Finally Woken. It includes a sample of the Swingle Singers' 1963 adaptation of Johann Sebastian Bach's Prelude in F minor (BWV 881) from Book II of Well-Tempered Clavier from their album Jazz Sebastian Bach.
The song became her most popular single, peaking at #6 on the UK Singles Chart. "They" was used in TV series like Crossing Jordan and Grey's Anatomy. Taiwanese pop singer Jolin Tsai recorded a Chinese version of the song, titled "Paradise" ( Chinese: 樂園), for using in an advertisement promoting Motorola mobile phones. "They" is also the title song for the hit MTV show The X Effect and formerly featured on a Pantene shampoo advertisement in the UK.
They Pt. 1
They Pt. 2/Australian CD
- "They" (Original Version)
- "They (Cut Chemist Remix)"
- "They Mdk & Ayesha Mix (Eye in the Sky Mix)"
- Music video
- "They" (Cut Chemist Remix)
- "They" (Cut Chemist Instrumental Remix)
- "They" (Eye in the Sky Mix)
- "They" (Tech Breaks Mix) by Kid Freeze
- "They" (Photek Mix)
- "They" (Album version)
Jem released two music videos for They. The UK version, inspired by the Barbarella opening scene, features Jem stripping herself in a spaceship (although she remains covered by strategically placed holograms); actually a boy dreams her as he constructs a model of the same spaceship back on Earth. The US version features Jem walking at a park while being accompanied by a number of children. She then encounters several signs and decides to violate them. Some intercut scenes show her at a roundabout being spun by children.
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||15|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||61|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)||47|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||45|
|Hungary (Rádiós Top 40)||1|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||27|
|Poland (Polish Airplay Charts)||3|
|United Kingdom (Official Charts Company)||6|
- Allegro, Ostin. "Ostin Allegro's Pop Meets The Classics". Retrieved 2007-12-22.
- "Australian-charts.com – Jem – They". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Jem – They" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Jem – They" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Jem – They" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "Musicline.de – Jem Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Rádiós Top 40 játszási lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- ACharts.us Jem - They
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Jem search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- Airplay Charts - Lista krajowa 24/2005
- "Swedishcharts.com – Jem – They". Singles Top 100.
- UK Singles Chart Archive