Thierry Gueorgiou (French pronunciation: [tjɛʁi ʒɔʁʒu]; born 30 March 1979) is a French orienteer who has won more than 20 gold medals in international competitions, including the World Orienteering Championships (WOC) middle distance event seven times: 2003–2005, 2007–2009 and 2011.
World Orienteering Championships
Gueorgiou was a member of the French relay team at WOC 2008 in Olomouc, Czech Republic. While running in a clear lead on the third leg, he suffered a bee sting on the back of his tongue. He left the course to go directly to the finish, where he collapsed, barely able to breathe. He was transported by helicopter to a hospital.
Martin Johansson 2009 WOC injury
At WOC 2009 in Miskolc, Hungary, during the last leg of the relay race Gueorgiou, Anders Nordberg (Norway), and Michal Smola (Czech Republic) were close behind the lead runner, Martin Johansson (Sweden), when Johansson suffered a 12 cm deep penetrating trauma from a stick in his right thigh. While Nordberg ran for help, Gueorgiou and Smola stayed with Johansson. Gueorgiou pulled out the stick, then applied compression to the wound using his own shirt and GPS tracking harness. Gueorgiou and Smola then carried Johansson to a road. Nordberg brought a physician there.
Gueorgiou's nickname is Tero and he is commonly known as Tero Kettunen in Finland and Terje Gundersen in Norway. He was born in St. Étienne, and currently lives in Uppsala, Sweden with his partner elite orienteer Annika Billstam.
- How Thierry Gueorgiou pronounces his name
- "Profile: Thierry Gueorgiou". runners.worldofo.com. Retrieved 2008-07-23.
- "Thierry Gueorgiou". tero1.free.fr. Retrieved 2008-07-23.
- John McCullough (2008-07-28). "High drama at the WOC Relay". The Irish Orienteer. Retrieved 2009-09-08.
- "Cruel bee sting costs French world orienteering title". CzechNews. 2008-07-21. Retrieved 2009-09-08.
- Thierry Gueorgiou (2009-08-27). "25th in WOC relay…". Thierry Gueorgiou. Retrieved 2009-09-08.
- Martin Johansson (2009-08-26). "The WOC-relay and the days after". Retrieved 2009-09-08.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Thierry Gueorgiou.|