|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (August 2011)|
|Slogan||This is a place to share digital designs that can be made into real, physical objects. Let's create a better universe, together!|
Type of site
|Created by||Zach "Hoeken" Smith, Bre Pettis|
|Launched||18 October 2008|
Thingiverse is a website dedicated to the sharing of user-created digital design files. Providing primarily open source hardware designs licensed under the GNU General Public License or Creative Commons licenses, users choose the type of user license they wish to attach to the designs they share. 3D printers, laser cutters, milling machines and many other technologies can be used to physically create the files shared by the users on Thingiverse.
Thingiverse is widely used in the DIY technology and Maker communities, by the RepRap Project, and by 3D Printer and MakerBot operators. Numerous technical projects use Thingiverse as a repository for shared innovation and dissemination of source materials to the public. Many of the objects are for the purpose of repair.
Thingiverse received an Honorable Mention in the Digital Communities category of the 2010 ARS Electronica | Prix Ars Electronica international competition for cyber-arts.
Open source hardware
Thingiverse contains many improvements and modifications that are generated by the community that surrounds open source hardware. There are numerous files to open-source improve, upgrade and modify RepRap and Contraptor 3D printers.
- 3D Printing Marketplace
- Materialise NV
- STL (file format)
- "Make and Mend: Thingiverse fixit roundup, Makezine.com by John Baichtal, 16 August 2010". Blog.makezine.com. 2010-08-16. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- Previous post Next post (2008-11-20). "Thingiverse.com Launches A Library of Printable Objects, Wired; GeekDad by John Baichtal, November 20, 2008". Wired.com. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- Austria. "2010 ARS Electronica | Prix Ars Electronica | Digital Communities | ANERKENNUNGEN". New.aec.at. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "Introducing MakerBot Thingiverse Dashboard And Follow Features". Makerbot blog.
- "The 100,000th Thing on Thingiverse!". Makerbot blog.
- 400 000th thing on Thingiverse
- "Daily Dot".
- "Prusa simplified mendel by prusajr". Thingiverse.com. 2010-09-18. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "Duplo Brick to Brio Track adapter with snap-lock by Zydac". Thingiverse.com. Retrieved 2011-09-16.