Things to Make and Do
|Things to Make and Do|
|Studio album by Moloko|
|Released||10 April 2000|
|Genre||Electronica, house, trip hop, synthpop, nu jazz, alternative dance|
Things to Make and Do is the third album from the electronic/dance duo Moloko, UK issued by Echo Records, in 2000. It was a sonic departure for Moloko, featuring tracks less reliant on electronics and more on live musicians. In addition to the change in musical styles, the album featured new vocal technique, from lead singer Róisín Murphy—at time of release, Murphy summed up her previous vocal style, saying: "I was nineteen when I made Tight Sweater, and I knew I was pretending, but if I tried not to, I'd still be pretending. Now, I know myself better."
After the release of Things to Make and Do, offers came in for Murphy to guest on others' records, most notably The Psychedelic Waltons, Boris D. and Handsome Boy Modelling School. The album held Echo's record as its fastest-selling UK platinum record, until beaten by Feeder's The Singles compilation six years later.
The album has sold 355,196 copies as of May 2015.
Singles and bonus tracks
Prior to the album's release, an unsolicited Boris Dlugosch "Sing It Back" remix became a club, then mainstream hit (originally a drum and bass-ish track on I Am Not a Doctor, their previous album). After the remix stormed Ibiza and Miami, then achieved scores of dance mix compilation inclusions, it was added to Things to Make and Do as a bonus track.
All songs written by Mark Brydon and Róisín Murphy, except where noted. All music published by Chrysalis Music Publishing
- "Radio Moscow" (Eddie Stevens) – 0:25
- "Pure Pleasure Seeker" – 6:31
- "Absent Minded Friends" – 4:44
- "Indigo" – 5:37
- "Being Is Bewildering" – 4:06
- "Remain the Same" – 3:40
- "A Drop in the Ocean" – 1:58
- "Dumb Inc." – 4:27
- "The Time Is Now" – 5:18
- "Mother" – 4:45
- "It's Your Problem" (Brydon/Murphy/Stevens) – 1:07
- "It's Nothing" – 5:13
- "Bingo Massacre" (Brydon/Murphy/Stevens/Paul Slowley) – 0:25
- "Somebody Somewhere" (Brydon/Murphy/Ashton Thomas/Dave Cooke) – 5:42
- "Just You and Me Dancing" (Brydon/Murphy/Stevens/Slowley) – 1:17
- "If You Have a Cross to Bear You May as Well Use It as a Crutch" (Brydon/Murphy/Stevens/Slowley) – 3:24
- "Keep Stepping" (Brydon/Murphy/Stevens) – 0:21
- "Sing It Back" (Boris Musical Mix) – 9:18
- "Indigo" (#51 UK)
- "Discogs:Moloko:Editing Things to Make and Do:Echo:ECHLP 31", Discogs, retrieved 2013-08-19
- Things to Make and Do at AllMusic
- "Wayback:ECHO:Moloko". Archived from the original on 5 April 2008.
- Jones, Alan (18 May 2015). "Official Charts Analysis: OMI's Cheerleader spends third week at No.1". Music Week (Intent Media). Retrieved 5 November 2015.