Thinking Fellers Union Local 282
|Thinking Fellers Union Local 282|
|Origin||San Francisco, California, United States|
|Genres||Experimental rock, noise rock, indie rock, Comedy Rock|
|Years active||1986–2001, 2004, 2011|
|Labels||Matador, Communion, Nuf Sed, Ajax, Scratch, Thwart Productions, Amarillo, Japan Overseas, Brinkman, Hemiola|
|Associated acts||Horny Genius, Caroliner, The White Shark, Mr. Hageman, U.S. Saucer, World of Pooh, Sun City Girls, Babe the Blue Ox, Fly Ashtray, Job's Daughters, Brown Supper, Supreme Reality, Girl Feelings, Archipelago Brewing Company|
|Past members||Paul Bergmann
Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 is an experimental indie rock group formed in 1986 in San Francisco, California, though half of its members are from Iowa. Their albums combine lo-fi noise rock and ambient sounds (referred to as "Feller filler") with tightly constructed rock and pop songs. The band has a small but intensely loyal cult following. Band members are Brian Hageman, Mark Davies, Anne Eickelberg, Hugh Swarts and Jay Paget. Hageman was also a member of the Iowa City based group, Horny Genius.
The band achieved their greatest critical and commercial success in the mid-nineties when they signed with the influential indie rock label Matador Records. It was during this time that Thinking Fellers produced their most prominent albums, Lovelyville, and the critically lauded college radio hit Strangers from the Universe. They toured the Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland and the U.K. in 1994 and made an appearance on the John Peel radio show on the BBC. In 1996 they toured briefly as an opening act for the then-popular band Live but were not received well by the Live fanbase. Thinking Fellers has been largely dormant since 1996, having toured sporadically and released only one full album, Bob Dinners and Larry Noodles Present Tubby Turdner's Celebrity Avalanche, since.
In 2001, author Jonathan Franzen referenced the band in his widely acclaimed bestselling novel The Corrections. The character Brian, a snobbish fan of "west coast underground bands," listens to the albums of Thinking Fellers while writing the music software that will make him a young millionaire.
- Wormed By Leonard Thwart Productions 1988
- Tangle Thwart Productions 1989 / Scratch Records 1995
- Lovelyville Matador Records 1991
- Mother Of All Saints Matador Records 1992
- Strangers From The Universe Matador Records 1994
- I Hope It Lands Communion 1996
- Bob Dinners and Larry Noodles Present Tubby Turdner's Celebrity Avalanche Communion 2001
Singles and EPs
- 2×4's / Horrible Hour 7" Nuf Sed 1990
- The Natural Finger 7" Ajax Records 1990
- Outhouse Of The Pryeeeeeeee / Wheat Delusion split 7" w/ Sun City Girls Nuf Sed 1991
- Where's Officer Tuba 12" Hemiola Records 1993
- Admonishing The Bishops Matador Records 1993
- The Funeral Pudding Ajax Records/Brinkman (Waaghaals) 1994
- Everyday / A Fistful of Dollars 7" Amarillo Records 1995
- The Kids Are In The Mud / Broken Bones 7" Japan Overseas 1996
- TFUL282 Japan Overseas 1995
- Eyesore - A Stab At The Residents Vaccination Records 1996 (cover of The Residents' "Electrocutioner")
- Porcelain Entertainments Normal Records 1995 / Runt 2000
- Duck, Duck, Chimp (Rarities 1987-2001) 2002
- "Thinking Fellers Union Local 282". tful282.com. 2013. Retrieved February 28, 2013.
- Edgerton, Robin; Wolk, Douglas (2013). "Thinking Fellers Union Local 282". Trouser Press. Retrieved February 28, 2013.
- Clements, Paul (May 2001). "Thinking Fellers Union Local 282". furious.com. Retrieved February 28, 2013.