Battle of the Shaer gas field (2016)
|Battle of the Shaer gas field (2016)|
|Part of the Syrian Civil War|
|Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant||Syrian Arab Republic|
|Commanders and leaders|
|Abu Baraa Al Jazrawi||Unknown|
|Casualties and losses|
|16 killed (1st day)||34 killed (1st day)|
The Battle of the Shaer gas field was a battle between the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) and the Syrian government for the control over the Sha'er gas field during the Syrian Civil War. It is the third attack that was launched by ISIL on the gas field.
On 5 May 2016, ISIL once again captured the Shaer gas field that had been held by the Syrian government since the Second Battle of the Shaer gas field. 34 soldiers and 16 ISIL fighters were killed during the battle for the field.
Four days later, ISIL attacked the nearby al-Mahr oil field, capturing al-Mahr hill, before the military recaptured the hill and repelled the attack on the field the following day. The same day, 10 May, ISIL captured an abandoned military base near the T4 airbase, cutting the main supply route to Palmyra. Government troops recaptured the base and reopened the supply road.
In late June, ISIL was once again in control of the Huwaysis area.
- داعش يسيطر على حقل الشاعر للغاز في حمص
- "Islamic State militants seize gas field in eastern Syria". 5 May 2016. Retrieved 6 June 2016 – via Reuters.
- (www.dw.com), Deutsche Welle. "Fighting calms in Syria's Aleppo amid truce, but hostilities persist elsewhere - News - DW.COM - 05.05.2016". Retrieved 6 June 2016.
- Tomson, Chris (9 May 2016). "ISIS attacks al-Mahr oil field as Syrian Army regroups for counteroffensive". Retrieved 6 June 2016.
- "IS cuts government supply route to Syria's ancient Palmyra". Retrieved 6 June 2016.
- Adra, Zen (13 May 2016). "Field Report: SAA recaptures strategic point near Tiyas Airbase". Retrieved 6 June 2016.
- "The regime forces reopen the supply road between Homs and Palmyra and explosion in the city of Homs". Retrieved 6 June 2016.
- Spencer, Richard. "Isil 'sets off earthquake by blowing up major gas field' in Syria". Telegraph. Telegraph. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- Aterbury, John. "Investigating the "ISIS earthquake"". Bellingcat. Retrieved 23 May 2016.
- "Palmyra_May_31". Retrieved 6 June 2016.
- Editor6. "قوات النظام تتقدم في بادية حمص الشرقية وتستعيد السيطرة على معظم منطقة حويسيس". Retrieved 6 June 2016.CS1 maint: Extra text: authors list (link)
- At least 50 Syrian soldiers killed in ISIS-led attacks in Homs
- Syrian Army reverses ISIS gains in northeast Homs