|Flag Officer, Third Flotilla|
|Active||1979 – 1992|
|Part of||Commander-in-Chief Fleet|
|First||Rear-Admiral Peter G.M. Herbert|
|Last||Vice-Admiral the Hon. Sir Nicholas J. Hill-Norton|
The Western Fleet and Far East Fleet were merged into the single Commander-in-Chief Fleet in 1971. He had three new seagoing subordinates: Flag Officer First Flotilla, Second Flotilla and Flag Officer, Carriers and Amphibious Ships (FOCAS) each commanded by a rear admiral. In December 1979 the post of FOCAS was re-named Flag Officer, Third Flotilla (FOF3).
From 1981-1992 the Flag Officer Third Flotilla commanded the aircraft carriers; amphibious Ships; the Fleet Training Ship; and destroyers not allocated to First or Second Flotillas.
In April 1992, the Third Flotilla was abolished, and the remaining two flotilla commanders became Flag Officer, Surface Flotilla - responsible for operational readiness and training and Commander United Kingdom Task Group (COMUKTG), who would command any deployed task group.
|Flag Officer, Third Flotilla (FOF3)|
|Navy Department, Ministry of Defence|
|Reports to||Commander-in-Chief, Fleet|
|Nominator||Secretary of State for Defence|
Subject to formal approval by the Queen-in-Council
|Term length||Not fixed (typically 1–4 years)|
|Inaugural holder||Rear-Admiral Peter G.M. Herbert|
Flag Officers commanding
- Rear-Admiral Peter G.M. Herbert: November 1979-December 1979
- Vice-Admiral Sir John M.H. Cox: December 1979 – 1981
- Vice-Admiral Sir John M.H. Cox: December 1981-March 1982
- Rear-Admiral Derek R. Reffell: March 1982-August 1983
- Vice-Admiral Sir Richard G.A. Fitch: August 1983-October 1985
- Vice-Admiral Sir J.Julian R. Oswald: October 1985-April 1987
- Rear-Admiral Hugo M. White: April 1987-October 1988
- Vice-Admiral Sir Alan Grose: October 1988-March 1990
- Vice-Admiral the Hon. Sir Nicholas J. Hill-Norton: March 1990-April 1992
- Roberts, John (2009). Safeguarding the Nation: The Story of the Modern Royal Navy. Barnsley, England: Seaforth Publishing. p. 89. ISBN 9781848320437.
- Tailyour, Ewen Southby (1990). Reasons in Writing A Commandos View of the Falklands War. Barnsley, England: Pen and Sword. p. 113. ISBN 9781844150144.
- Watson, Dr Graham; Smith, Gordon (12 July 2015). "Royal Navy Organisation and Ship Deployment 1947-2013". www.naval-history.net. G. Smith. Retrieved 6 August 2018.
- Mackie, Colin (August 2018). "Royal Navy Senior Appointments from 1865". gulabin.com. C. Mackie. p. 217. Retrieved 6 August 2018.
- Mackie, Colin (2018). "Royal Navy Senior Appointments from 1865" (PDF). gulabin.com. Colin Mackie. Scotland, UK.
- Roberts, John (2009). Safeguarding the Nation: The Story of the Modern Royal Navy. Barnsley, England: Seaforth Publishing. ISBN 9781848320437.
- Smith, Gordon (2015). "Royal Navy Organisation and Ship Deployment 1947-2013: Fleet Oorganisation, 1981-2002".