Third Nanjing Yangtze Bridge
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Third Nanjing Yangtze Bridge
View from the river
|Carries||3 lanes (in each direction)|
|Locale||Nanjing, Jiangsu, China|
|Total length||1,288 m (4,226 ft)|
|Width||37.5 m (123 ft)|
|Longest span||648 m (2,126 ft)|
|Opened||October 7, 2005|
|Daily traffic||60,000 vehicles (by 2025)|
The Third Nanjing Yangtze Bridge is the first cable-stayed bridge located in Nanjing, China. It is the third crossing of the Yangtze River at Nanjing. The cable-stayed portion is just a part of the 4.7 kilometers of the complete bridge. Constructed in slightly more than two years at a cost of $490 million, this bridge features dual 215 meters towers. The main span measures 648 meters. When it was completed in 2005 it was the third longest cable stayed span in the world. It still ranks among the top 20. The bridge carries the G42 Shanghai–Chengdu Expressway and the G2501 Nanjing Ring Expressway
The deck superstructure is an orthotropic box girder 3.2 m deep and 37.5 wide that accommodates three lanes of traffic in each direction. Also the bridge has a center lane used in case of emergency. The deck is supported by 168 stay cables. Each cable is formed by 109 to 241 wires 7 mm in diameter and 215 m in height.
The bridge was financed by a joint venture of Chinese public-sector and corporate entities. China's Highway Planning and Design Institute, part of the Ministry of Communications, led the design team.
- List of largest cable-stayed bridges
- List of tallest bridges in the world
- Yangtze River bridges and tunnels
- Media related to Third Nanjing Yangtze Bridge at Wikimedia Commons
- CUI Bing; MENG Fan-chao; FENG Liang-ping; DONG Meng. "Design and Fabrication of the Tower Column of Nanjing No.3 Yangtze River Bridge--《China Railway Science》2005年03期". en.cnki.com.cn. Retrieved 2015-10-06.
- LI Jun-ping; LI Yi; CHENG Yu-hai. "Fabrication and Erection Techniques for Steel Pylons of the 3rd Nanjing Changjiang River Bridge--《Bridge Construction》2006年02期". en.cnki.com.cn. Retrieved 2015-10-06.