Third Stone from the Sun
|"Third Stone From the Sun"|
|Song by the Jimi Hendrix Experience from the album Are You Experienced|
|Released||May 12, 1967(UK)|
|Recorded||Olympic Studios, London, April 4 & 10, 1967|
|Genre||Rock, Psychedelic rock|
|Label||Track (no. 612 001)|
|Are You Experienced track listing|
"Third Stone from the Sun" is a song by the Jimi Hendrix Experience. It was written by Jimi Hendrix and included on the 1967 Are You Experienced album. It is mostly an instrumental, but includes brief spoken passages by Hendrix over the music. Elements of jazz are heard in the Wes Montgomery-style octave guitar melody line and Mitch Mitchell's Elvin Jones-influenced drumming. The title is a reference to Earth in its position as the third planet away from the sun in the Solar System.
- Hendrix : Star fleet to scout ship, please give your position. Over.
- Chandler : I am in orbit around the third planet of star known as sun. Over.
- Hendrix : May this be Earth? Over.
- Chandler : Positive. It is known to have some form of intelligent species. Over.
- Hendrix : I think we should take a look (Jimi then makes vocal spaceship noises).
Towards the end of the song, Hendrix's science-fiction character intones, "To you I shall put an end, then you'll never hear surf music again." According to Dick Dale, the "King of the Surf Guitar", it was Hendrix's way of encouraging his recuperation when Dale was seriously ill. Dale later recorded the piece as a tribute to Hendrix.
Renditions by other artists 
Several musicians have recorded interpretations of "Third Stone from the Sun", including:
- Gary Clark Jr. – Blak and Blu
- Pat Metheny – Stone Free: A Tribute to Jimi Hendrix
- Jaco Pastorius – live performances
- Psychograss – Like Minds
- Stevie Ray Vaughan – medley with "Little Wing" on Power of Soul: A Tribute to Jimi Hendrix
The guitar melody has been referenced by numerous artists:
- The Allman Brothers – "Mountain Jam"
- The Amboy Dukes – "Baby, Please Don't Go"
- Kirk Hammett from Metallica in live guitar solos.
- Boney M. – introduction to "Rasputine"
- Big Audio Dynamite – "C'mon Every Beatbox"
- Bruno Blum – "Bruno Blum Bruno Blum Bruno Blum"
- Roy Mitchell-Cárdenas – "Earthsuit" on The Rise of Modern Simulation
- The Cortinas – live performances of "Gloria"
- Uli Jon Roth in live performances.
- Cozy Powell – "Dance with the Devil"
- Right Said Fred – "I'm Too Sexy"
- Weather Report – "Slang"
- Dick Dale - "Guitar Legend: The Very Best Of Dick Dale"
- Unterberger, Richie. "Jimi Hendrix/The Jimi Hendrix Experience: Third Stone from the Sun – Song Review". AllMusic. Rovi Corp. Retrieved August 21, 2014.
- Dick Dale, Better Shred Than Dead: The Dick Dale Anthology (Rhino Records, 1997), liner notes to Disc 2, Track 12.