Third World Child
|Third World Child|
|Studio album by Johnny Clegg & Savuka|
|Johnny Clegg & Savuka chronology|
Incorporating both Zulu and English lyrics, as well as political songs, it was the album which led Clegg to international fame. All songs were written by Johnny Clegg, except for Giyani in collaboration with V. Mavusa.
The track "Scatterlings of Africa" gave them an entry in the UK Singles Chart, reaching No. 75 in May 1987.
The song "Great Heart" was covered by Jimmy Buffett a year after its release for his album Hot Water. The song has since become an opener for Buffett's concerts, being played nearly every performance during the 2000 and 2003 tours. The 2000 tour was compiled into a live album, Buffett Live: Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, but "Great Heart" was left on the cutting room floor. However, many performances from the 2003 tour was captured on five out of seven of the Jimmy Buffett sound board live albums. Buffett originally heard the song after listening to Johnny Clegg cassette tapes while in France.
|1.||"Are You Ready?"||4:02|
|4.||"Scatterlings Of Africa"||3:51|
|7.||"Ring On Her Finger"||4:07|
|8.||"Third World Child"||4:16|
|10.||"Don't Walk Away"||4:24|
- Johnny Clegg – lead vocals, guitar, umhuphe mouth bow
- Steve Mabuso – keyboards, backing vocals
- Derek de Beer – drums, percussion, backing vocals
- Jabu Mabuso – bass guitar, backing vocals
- Keith Hutchinson – keyboards, saxophone, flute
- Dudu Zulu – percussion
- Bobby Summerfield – mixer, recording engineer, keyboard and drum programing.
- Allmusic review
- 'Hot Water' lyric sleeve.