|Location||Vellore, Tamil Nadu, India
|Campus||Urban spread over 112 acres (0.45 km2)|
Thiruvallauvar University is a public university located in the city of Vellore, Tamil Nadu, India. It was established by the government of Tamil Nadu, under the Thiruvalluvar University Act, 2002 (Tamil Nadu Act 32 of 2002) in the year 2002. Thiruvallauvar University was named after the Tamil poet and philosopher Thiruvalluvar.
It began functioning as the Postgraduate Extension Centre, of University of Madras, at the Fort Campus, Vellore. After bifurcation from the University of Madras, Thiruvallauvar University moved to a new campus at Serkadu, Vellore.
University campus is spread over an area of 112 acres at Serkadu about 16 km from the city centre on NH-4. This campus was inaugurated by Mr. Karunanidhi on 27 November 2010 which was constructed at a cost of Rs.20.35 crores. Campus has a administrative block, academic block & computer science block and a library.
University has following departments which offer several courses.
- Department of Economics
- Department of Zoology
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Bio technology
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Tamil
- Department of English
- M.Sc. (Biotechnolog)
- M.Phil. (Biotechnology)
- Ph.D. (Biotechnology)
- M.Sc. (Chemistry)
- M.Phil (Chemistry)
- PhD (Chemistry)
- M.A. (English)
- M.Phil (English)
- M.A. (Economics)
- M.Phil (Economics)
- b.sc. (Mathematics)
- M.Phil (Mathematics)
- M.A. (Tamil)
- M.Phil (Tamil)
- M.Sc. (Zoology)
- M.Phil (Zoology)
Non-semester/semester examinations for undergraduate/postgraduate degree students of the university departments and affiliated colleges are conducted.
The finance source for the university is grants-in-aid from the government of Tamil Nadu and government of India and through research schemes of the government of India and fees collected from the students of affiliated colleges.
- "About the University". Thiruvallauvar University.
- "Thiruvalluvar University building inauguration on November 27". The Hindu. 26 October 2010.
- "112 acres allotted for Thiruvalluvar University". The Hindu. 20 December 2007.
- "Bhoomi Puja for Thiruvalluvar University building today". The Hindu. 4 June 2009.
- "Karunanidhi renames Officers' Line in Vellore Anna Salai & Inaugurates Thiruvalluvar University Campus, Vellore". The Hindu. 20 December 2007.
- "About chancellor of Thiruvallauvar University". Thiruvallauvar University.
- "Prof P. Gunasekaran is new VC of Thiruvalluvar University". India Education Review.
- "Departments at the University" (PDF). Thiruvallauvar University.
- "Thiruvalluvar University Opens PG Course Admission". Education oneindia.
- "Biotechnology courses offered". Thiruvallauvar University.