|Motto||Lead them to lead|
|Chancellor||Honorable Thiru. CH. Vidyasagar Rao(Acting Governor of Tamil Nadu)|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Dr. K. MURUGAN|
|Location||Vellore, Tamil Nadu, India
|Campus||Urban spread over 112 acres (0.45 km2)|
Thiruvallauvar University is a public State University in the city of Vellore, Tamil Nadu, India . It was established by the Government of Tamil Nadu, under the Thiruvalluvar University Act, 2002 (Tamil Nadu Act 32 of 2002). The University was named after the Tamil poet and philosopher Thiruvalluvar is enshrined with the motto "கண்ணுடைய ரென்பவர் கற்றோர்".
It began functioning as the 'Post Graduate Extension Centre of University of Madras', at the Fort Campus, Vellore. After bifurcation from the University of Madras, Thiruvallauvar University moved to a new campus at Serkadu, Vellore. The University affiliates Arts and Science colleges under the area comprising the districts of Vellore, Tiruvannamalai, Viluppuram and Cuddalore.
University campus is spread over an area of 112 acres at Serkadu about 16 km from the Vellore city on NH-4. The campus was inaugurated by Mr. Karunanidhi on 27 November 2010. It was constructed at a cost of Rs.20.35 crores.
The campus has an administrative block, academic and computer science blocks, and a library.
Governor of Tamil Nadu Honorable_Thiru._CH._Vidyasagar_Rao(Acting_Governor_of_Tamil_Nadu) is the Chancellor of Thiruvallauvar University.Pro-chancellor is K. P. Anbalagan and the Vice Chancellor is Prof. Dr. K. MURUGAN.
University has following departments which offer several courses.
- Department of Economics
- Department of Zoology
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Bio technology
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Tamil
- Department of English
- M.Sc. (Biotechnolog)
- M.Phil. (Biotechnology)
- Ph.D. (Biotechnology)
- M.Sc. (Chemistry)
- M.Phil (Chemistry)
- PhD (Chemistry)
- M.A. (English)
- M.Phil (English)
- M.A. (Economics)
- M.Phil (Economics)
- B.Sc. (Mathematics)
- M.Phil (Mathematics)
- M.Sc. (Mathematics)
- M.A. (Tamil)
- M.Phil (Tamil)
- Ph.D (Tamil)
- M.Sc. (Zoology)
- M.Phil (Zoology)
Non-semester/semester/CBCS examinations for undergraduate/postgraduate degree students of the university departments and affiliated colleges are conducted.
The finance source for the university is grants-in-aid from the government of Tamil Nadu and government of India and through research schemes of the government of India and fees collected from the students of affiliated colleges.
- "Thiruvalluvar University building inauguration on November 27". The Hindu. 26 October 2010.
- "112 acres allotted for Thiruvalluvar University". The Hindu. 20 December 2007.
- "Bhoomi Puja for Thiruvalluvar University building today". The Hindu. 4 June 2009.
- "Karunanidhi renames Officers' Line in Vellore Anna Salai & Inaugurates Thiruvalluvar University Campus, Vellore". The Hindu. 20 December 2007.
- "Departments at the University" (PDF). Thiruvallauvar University.
- "Thiruvalluvar University Opens PG Course Admission". Education oneindia.
- "Biotechnology courses offered". Thiruvallauvar University.