This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Thiruvanmiyur MRTS station
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Chennai South|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Velachery|
Thiruvanmiyur is a largely residential neighborhood in the south of Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. Thiruvanmiyur witnessed a spike in its economy with the construction of Chennai's first dedicated technology office space, the Tidel Information Technology Park in neighboring Taramani. The subsequent rise of several information technology businesses, research centres and offices around Tidel park proved fortuitous for Thiruvanmiyur, as many of the workers at these offices often made Thiruvanmiyur their home. The Marundeeswarar Temple, dedicated to Lord Shiva previously defined the area, leading it to be mentioned in Sangam Tamil epics. Thiruvanmiyur houses the Kalakshetra cultural academy, dedicated to the preservation, teaching and development of Indian culture and fine arts. It is also commonly referred to as the MICO layout of Chennai city.
- The place derives its name from Thiru-Valmiki-Ur, meaning location of the temple of Valmiki..
- This place was also referred to as Thiru-aamai-yur in the Sangam Literature of Tamil Literature.This literally means city of turtles.From time immemorial this town's beach has been an important turtle habitat. This Valmiki must however not be mistaken for the sage that wrote 'The Ramayana', as he lived in North India. Valmiki is an attributed name given to those who are so lost in their penance that they are covered by ant-hills.
Road and Transport
Buses The area is easily accessible by Metropolitan Transport Corporation (MTC) buses and has a sprawling bus terminus. The MTC bus stops in the area are Jeyanthi Theatre, Thiruvanmiyur Bus Stand, Marundeeswarar temple, R.T.O office and Tidel park. SETC buses heading towards Pondicherry passes through the area and has a bus stop.
Railways Thiruvanmiyur Railway station, opposite to Tidel Park, is on the Mass Rapid Transit System Railway line which connects Velachery and Beach via Chennai Central(Park Station). STPI, also known as Software Technology Parks of India, located near Tidel Park, is another hub for Information Technology companies.
Facilities and attractions
The main post office is located east of Lattice Bridge (LB) Road, around 100 meters before it meets Old Mahabalipuram Road. The two main theatres in the area are the Jayanthi (currently demolished to make way for a housing project) and the Theyagaraja/Sathyam S2. The South Chennai RTO is also located here on ECR Road.
Thiruvanmiyur beach is a popular attraction and the beach line is 1 km from East Coast Road. The Beach Walkers promenade is very popular with the local residents. The beach is a maintained clean with active support from the local community.The local community with the support of cotton house, has made an elderly walker's resting spot named after Dr.A.P.J.Abdul Kalam (the former president of India).
Schools: CBSE-Shraddha Children’s Academy, Kottivakkam, State Board-Nellai Nadar Matriculation School, Sri Sankara Vidyashram matriculation higher secondary school.
Thiruvanmiyur is an important juncture in the city since it has easy public connectivity (bus and train) to other places. Leading food outlets like KFC, Domino's, Pizza Hut, Ibaco ice creams and Sri Krishna Sweets have set up their outlets here. There are many shopping outlets like Reliance Trends, Khadims, Arrow, Otto, Indian Terrain, Raymonds, Megamart, Europa etc.
Located about 3 km south of Adyar, stretching approximately from Tidel Park/Kalakshetra road to SRP Tools/Srinivasapuram/New Beach Road.
Places of worship
- The Pamban Swamigal Temple
- Thiruveethi Amman Temple
- Shirdi Sai Baba Temple, Kamaraj Nagar, Thiruvanmiyur
- Sarkarai Ammal Temple
- The 'Srinivasa Perumal' temple also known as Mangani Vinayakar Temple
- Masjid E Noor, Thiruvanmiyur East, Netaji Nagar, Thiruvanmiyur
- Masjid Ilahi, Kamaraj Nagar, Thiruvanmiyur
- Advent Church, ECR, Thiruvanmiyur
Location in context
- "Arulmigu Marundeeswarar Temple Thiruvanmiyur, Chennai". Archived from the original on 2015-04-10.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Thiruvanmiyur.|