This Is How a Heart Breaks
|"This Is How a Heart Breaks"|
|Single by Rob Thomas|
|from the album ...Something to Be|
|Released||June 13, 2005|
|Length||3:51 (Album Version)
3:23 (Radio Edit)
Bloodshy & Avant
|Rob Thomas singles chronology|
"This Is How a Heart Breaks" was released in June 2005 as the second single from Matchbox Twenty frontman Rob Thomas's debut album, …Something to Be. The song was moderately successful on the charts peaking at number 52 in the USA and number 13 in Australia. It was certified gold by the RIAA selling over 500,000 copies and in 2006 it was nominated for a Grammy for Best Rock Vocal Performance, Solo.
In popular culture
The song is performed in the season 2 finale of IZombie (TV series).
Video and plot
The video, directed by Pedro Romhanyi, starts off with images of New York City then Thomas singing as he walks along the street. Then suddenly, he sees someone and runs away, chased by that person through the New York streets. Later on, Thomas escapes from the chaser and sings a few lines while walking along another part of the street. Just as he finishes his lines, the chaser catches up to Thomas again and he runs through a bar and jumps out a window in the bar. Eventually, Thomas loses the chaser and goes into an elevator in a building. Once he leaves, he runs up the stairs to the fire exit and when gets to the roof top he sings some lines then sees the chaser chasing him again. As the chase continues Thomas tries to climb down a fire escape only to fall into trash. Then Thomas runs on top of some parked cars only to run into a fence which he can't climb. Then Thomas gets cornered and finds himself face to face with the chaser. As the video ends we get a very quick glimpse of the chaser's face and it is in fact himself, Rob Thomas.
|Australian ARIA Singles Chart||13|
|Netherlands (Mega Single Top 100)||91|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||24|
|UK Singles Chart||67|
|US Billboard Hot 100||52|
|US Adult Top 40 (Billboard)||3|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||25|
Year end charts
|End of Year Chart (2005)||Position
|Australian Singles Chart||96|
- "This Is How a Heart Breaks" (Album Version) - 3:50
- "Lonely No More" (Courtesy of Yahoo! Music) – 3:31
- That Kid Chris Club Mix – 9:47
- Ford Club Mix – 7:31
- Pull Defibrillator Mix – 6:31
- B&B Club Mix – 6:22
- Ford Dub Mix – 7:31
- Pull's Synthapella – 4:07
- That Kid Chris Dub Mix – 9:18
- B&B Acapella – 3:31
- B&B Beats – 2:51
- Strait No Chaser – 3:17
- Peecans Xmas Sweater Club - 1:15
- Collar, Matt. "Under the Influence - Straight No Chaser". Allmusic. Retrieved 2 November 2014.
- "Rob Thomas – Chart History: Billboard Hot 100". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved May 30, 2014.
- "Rob Thomas – Chart History: Adult Pop Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved May 30, 2014.
- "Rob Thomas – Chart History: Adult Contemporary". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved May 30, 2014.