This Life (song)
|Song by Curtis Stigers & The Forest Rangers from the EP Sons of Anarchy: North Country|
|Released||September 1, 2008|
|Studio||Cunningham Audio Production, Boise, Idaho|
|Genre||Southern rock, blues-rock|
"This Life" is the theme song for the FX television series Sons of Anarchy, written by singer-songwriter Curtis Stigers, Velvet Revolver guitarist Dave Kushner, producer Bob Thiele Jr. and show creator Kurt Sutter while it was performed by Curtis Stigers & The Forest Rangers.
Musician Dave Kushner, of Velvet Revolver, began collaborating with friend and producer Bob Thiele Jr. on the main theme song and end credit theme for the FX television series Sons of Anarchy. Kushner originally wrote the riff with Shooter Jennings in mind before using it for the theme. Thiele then contacted Curtis Stigers to write lyrics and sing the theme, who recorded the song at Cunningham Audio Production in Boise, Idaho. Show creator Kurt Sutter also cowrote the lyrics to the song. When speaking about why he cowrote the theme for the show, Kushner stated that:
|“||I was drawn to the show for two reasons [...] 'Sons' is an incredibly intense, gnarly drama about family and the things we do for love and money when we're not presented the same opportunity others are. Also, it was a chance for me to work with my good friend Bob [Thiele] who is an amazing songwriter/producer/musician.||”|
Awards and nominations
"This Life" received an Emmy Award nomination for Outstanding Main Title Theme Music in 2009, but lost out to the theme for the PBS television series Great Performances. Commenting on the nomination, Kushner stated that he was "honored to be recognized by and to receive this nomination from the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences." The following year, they received an ASCAP Award for the theme.
The song was released in September 2008 on the Sons of Anarchy: North Country - EP, which featured music from the television show by Anvil, Franky Perez and Audra Mae, via iTunes. It is also available in the album Songs of Anarchy: Music from Sons of Anarchy Seasons 1–4. A new version of the song was introduced in Season 6.
- "Sons of Anarchy: North Country - EP". iTunes. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
- "VELVET REVOLVER's DAVE KUSHNER Co-Writes Theme Song For FX Show 'Sons Of Anarchy'". Blabbermouth.net. September 4, 2008. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
- Luce, Patrick (September 5, 2008). "Velvet Revolver's Dave Kushner co-writes 'Sons of Anarchy' theme song". Monsters and Critics. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
- Deeds, Michael (February 26, 2010). "Curtis Stigers' eclectic universe comes home". Idaho Statesman. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
- "Emmy Cheat Sheet". Variety. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
- Burlingame, Jon (July 16, 2009). "Emmy Music Nominations Announced". The Film Music Society. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
- "Dave Kushner - Velvet Revolver". Sonoma Wire Works. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
- "Nominations: Official 2009 Primetime Emmy Award Nominees". Emmys.com. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
- "VELVET REVOLVER Guitarist DAVE KUSHNER Receives 2009 EMMY Nomination". Blabbermouth.net. August 18, 2009. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
- Morris, Christopher (June 24, 2010). "ASCAP Honors Top Film and Television Music Composers at 25th Anniversary Awards Celebration". Variety. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
- "ANVIL, SCARS ON BROADWAY Guitarist Cover THE WHO For 'Sons Of Anarchy' EP". Blabbermouth.net. August 30, 2009. Retrieved 2011-03-09.