This Little Piggy
|"This Little Piggy"|
Illustration by Lilly Martin Spencer, 1857
The most common modern version is:
This little piggy went to market,
Wiggle the "big" toe
The rhyme is usually counted out on an infant or toddler's toes, each line corresponding to a different toe, usually starting with the big toe and ending with the little toe. A foot tickle is usually added during the "Wee...all the way home" section of the last line. The rhyme can also be seen as a counting rhyme, although the number of each toe (from one for the big toe to five for the little toe) is never stated.
In 1728, the first line of the rhyme appeared in a medley called "The Nurse's Song". The first known full version was recorded in The Famous Tommy Thumb's Little Story-Book, published in London about 1760.
The full rhyme continued to appear, with slight variations, in many late 18th and early 19th century collections. Until the mid-20th century, the lines referred to "little pigs".
In today's culture
In 2013, an Australian children's music group, The Wiggles, wrote a song "This Little Piggy Went to Market" with the same lyrics as the original This Little Piggy with different background music. In the same year, BilinguaSing released a bilingual version of the song in English and Spanish. The song is on The Wiggles' 2014 release Apples and Bananas (DVD and CD), and the song is sung with the American journalist Lee Hawkins.
On Monday, February 23, 2015, singer Christina Aguilera sang the rhyme in the voice of Britney Spears on "The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon" in the tune and instrumental of ...Baby One More Time.
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
- Wentworth, George; Smith, David Eugene (1912). Work and Play with Numbers. Boston: Ginn & Company. p. 14.
- Herman, D. (2007). The Cambridge Companion to Narrative. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. p. 9.
- Opie, I.; Opie, P. (1951). The Oxford Dictionary of Nursery Rhymes (1997 ed.). Oxford University Press. pp. 349–50.
- Duerson, Meena (April 29, 2014). "Savannah, Matt play 'This Little Piggy' to teach anchor a lesson". Today. Retrieved February 12, 2016.
- Boardman, Madeline (24 February 2015). "Christina Aguilera Does Incredible Britney Spears Impression on The Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon". US Weekly. Archived from the original on 25 February 2015. Retrieved 1 June 2015.