This Time Around (Hanson album)
|This Time Around|
|Studio album by Hanson|
|Released||May 9, 2000|
|Recorded||June-November, 1999 in Los Angeles, California|
|Producer||Hanson, Mark Hudson, Stephen Lironi|
|Wall of Sound||(75/100)|
- For the album by Paul Brandt, see This Time Around (Paul Brandt album).
This Time Around is the second studio album by American pop rock group Hanson, released in 2000. Although Hanson had several albums in between, This Time Around is their first standard studio release since 1997's Middle of Nowhere.
This Time Around didn't have the commercial success of its predecessor Middle of Nowhere. This may be in part due to the change in Hanson's focus: This Time Around does not feature as many bubblegum pop style tunes like Middle of Nowhere. Instead Hanson opted to focus on a more classic rock sound, or as MTV.com put it "Yes, we're talking stadium rock." The album is also heavy on ballads, with songs such as "Sure About It" and "A Song to Sing" covering the themes of teenage insecurity and loneliness, much like "Weird" from Middle of Nowhere.
Critically, This Time Around was very well received. It was given a score of 67 out of 100 by Metacritic. Billboard noted, "It all adds up to a collection that successfully sets Hanson apart from the current teen-pop phenomenon that it helped start -- at least from a creative perspective," and CDNow said "This Time Around scores with more sophisticated harmonies and storytelling." Rolling Stone said, "Like a blond three-headed hydra, Hanson loom over the competition, making all other teen idols sound like Gerber-sucking clowns." Allmusic said, "It's hard not to miss the thrilling way Middle of Nowhere leapt out of the speakers upon its first spin with giddy fun, yet with its carefully considered craft and warmly ingratiating pop songs This Time Around is winning entertainment." However, not everyone was complimentary about the change in musical style, with Robert Christgau of The Village Voice stating "If you thought they were bad when they were cute, or even that they were cute when they were good, believe me, you don't want to hear them mature," and NME with the even harsher verdict: "But damn those cruel hormones – Hanson's collective balls have MmmDropped, and the giddy rush of adolescence seeks to mutate Mercury's finest investment into a trio of crack-voiced hulks."
To date, This Time Around has sold over 1 million copies worldwide. The single itself sold over 500,000 copies in the United States.
- "You Never Know" – 3:04
- "If Only" – 4:30
- "This Time Around" – 4:17 (Lead vocals: Taylor and Isaac Hanson)
- "Runaway Run" – 3:40
- "Save Me" – 3:40
- "Dying to Be Alive" – 4:37
- "Can't Stop" – 4:24
- "Wish That I Was There" – 3:32 (Lead vocals: Zac and Taylor Hanson)
- "Love Song" – 4:06 (Lead vocals: Isaac Hanson)
- "Sure About It" – 3:27
- "Hand in Hand" – 4:37 (Lead vocals: Isaac Hanson)
- "In the City" – 3:27
- "A Song to Sing" – 3:35 [hidden track] (Lead vocals: Taylor and Isaac Hanson)
In some locales two additional hidden tracks, "Smile" and "Lonely Again", were also included in the foreign version of the CD. Just like Middle of Nowhere, "A Song to Sing" is track 21 with eight tracks of silence used once again, despite some reissues dropping the silent tracks to make "A Song to Sing" track 13.
- Taylor Hanson – Piano, keyboards, harmonica, percussion, vocals
- Isaac Hanson – Electric and acoustic guitars, vocals
- Zachary Hanson – Drums, vocals
- John Popper, Scott Gordon – Harmonica
- Jonny Lang – Electric guitars
- Stephen Lironi – Electric guitars, organ, bass, loops
- Kevin Wyatt – Bass
- Abe Laboriel, Jr. – Drums, percussion
- Ged Lynch – Percussion
- DJ Swamp – DJ/Scratching
- Michael Fisher – Percussion
- Rose Stone (also director), Lisa Banks, Alfie Silas, Carolyn, Darlene, Sharon & Lori Petty, Howard McCreary, Rick Riso, Cedric Johns – Choir
- Joel Derouin – Violin
- David Campbell – Viola
- Larry Corbett – Cello
- Strings on "Runaway Run" arranged by David Campbell
- Arranged by Hanson
- Produced by Hanson and Stephen Lironi; vocals produced by Hanson and Mark Hudson
- Recording engineers – Scott Gordon (vocal engineer), Doug Trantow, Steve Churchyard ("You Never Know")
- Second engineers – Annette Cisneros, Pat Burkholder, Brent Riley, Eric Ferguson, Dave Dominguez, Elan Trujillo
- Additional Pro Tools engineering by Lars Fox
- Mixed by Tom Lord-Alge
- Mastered at Sterling Sound
- "Critic Reviews for This Time Around". Metacritic. Retrieved 2012-07-28.
- "This Time Around - Hanson". Allmusic.
- "Hanson: This Time Around". Billboard. May 13, 2000. Archived from the original on 2000-06-22. Retrieved 2012-07-28.
- Browne, David (2000-05-12). "This Time Around Review". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2012-07-28.
- "Album Reviews - This Time Around". NME. April 26, 2000. Retrieved 2012-07-28.
- Christgau, Robert. "CG: Hanson". RobertChristgau.com. Retrieved 2012-07-28.
- Sheffield, Rob (2000-05-25). "Hanson: This Time Around : Music Reviews". Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on 2007-02-25. Retrieved 2012-07-28.
- "Hits of the World - Eurochart". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. 20 May 2000. p. 49. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "German Longplay charts > Chart History". musicline.de Retrieved 2010-05-10
- "ハンソンのアルバム売上ランキング". oricon.co.jp. Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- "Official Scottish Albums Chart Top 100 - Official Charts Company". officialcharts.com. Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- "HANSON - full Official Chart History - Official Charts Company". officialcharts.com. Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- "US Billboard and Canadian charts > Chart History". billboard.com Retrieved 2010-05-10