This Time Around (Michael Jackson song)
|"This Time Around"|
|Single by Michael Jackson|
|from the album HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book I|
|Released||December 26, 1995 (promo)|
|Genre||New jack swing|
|Michael Jackson singles chronology|
|The Notorious B.I.G. singles chronology|
"This Time Around"
"This Time Around" is a song by American singer Michael Jackson from his ninth studio album, HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book I, with a guest appearance by rapper the Notorious B.I.G. It was released as a promotional single in the US, and is the album's fourth single overall. The song, which details a musician's problems with being famous and dealing with stardom, was written by Jackson, while the music was composed by Dallas Austin, Bruce Swedien and Rene Moore. Dallas Austin and Michael Jackson produced the song, while Bruce Swedien and René Moore served as co-producers. In the United States, "This Time Around" entered three Billboard component charts, respectively peaking at numbers 18, 23, and 36 on the Dance Music/Club Play Singles, Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay, and Rhythmic Top 40, having charted solely due to radio airplay throughout the country. It received positive reviews from contemporary music critics.
Background and composition
The song and lyrics were written by Michael Jackson, while the music was composed by Dallas Austin, Bruce Swedien and Rene Moore. "This Time Around" is a song by Jackson that includes vocals by rapper the Notorious B.I.G. Austin and Jackson produced the song, while Swedien and Moore co-produced the song. It was recorded by both American musicians in 1994 and 1995 for Jackson's ninth studio album, entitled HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book I, which was released in 1995 as a two-disc set.
"This Time Around" was written in common time, and was played in the key of D minor. The track's tempo is a moderate 106 beats per minute. The track has a basic sequence of Dm11–Dm9 as its chord progression. The song's lyrics are about Michael and Biggie's problems with being famous and dealing with stardom, and throughout the song Jackson asserts that he's been falsely accused. On December 26, 1995, the track was released by Epic Records as a promotional single in the United States only. The promo was formatted in three different versions, which were as a standalone CD single with just the song, as a 12" single with remixes and as a maxi-single.
Release and reception
"This Time Around" received positive reviews from contemporary music critics in their review for the album. James Hunter of Rolling Stone described the song as being a "dynamite jam...done with Atlanta R&B hotshot Dallas Austin that's ripe for remixes". Jon Pareles of The New York Times believed that Jackson "muttered" lyrics such as "They thought they really had control of me". Although "This Time Around" did not chart on the Billboard Hot 100, the track had a good chart performance on music component charts in the United States. The song charted on music charts based solely on radio airplay throughout the country. It charted within the top 40 of the Billboard Rhythmic Top 40 chart in 1995, peaking at number 36. The song peaked at number 18 on the Billboard Dance Music/Club Play Singles music charts 1996. In 1996, the track also peaked at number 23 on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart.
- US CD Promo
- "This Time Around" – 4:21
- "Earth Song (Radio Edit)" – 4:58
- "Earth Song" – 6:46
- US 12" Promo
- "This Time Around (Dallas Main Extended Mix)" – 7:15
- "This Time Around (Maurice's Hip Hop Around Mix)" – 4:25
- "This Time Around (Maurice's Hip Hop Around Mix w/o Rap)" – 4:25
- "This Time Around (Dallas Main Mix)" – 6:40
- "This Time Around (Album Instrumental)" – 4:12
- Produced by Michael Jackson, Dallas Austin, Bruce Swedien and René Moore
- Recorded by Bruce Swedien and René Moore
- Mixed by Bruce Swedien
- Arranged by Michael Jackson, Dallas Austin, Bruce Swedien, and René Moore
- Michael Jackson – lead and backing vocals
- The Notorious B.I.G. – rap
- Dallas Austin – keyboards and synthesizers
- René Moore – percussion, keyboards, and synthesizers
- Bruce Swedien – percussion
- Michael Thompson – guitar
- Keith Rouster and Colin Wolfe – bass guitar
|Billboard's Dance Music/Club Play Singles||18|
|Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay||23|
|Billboard Rhythmic Top 40||36|
- "BMI - Repertoire Search". BMI. Archived from the original on July 18, 2012. Retrieved June 13, 2010.
- HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book I liner notes Epic Records (1995).
- "This Time Around - Michael Jackson Digital Sheet Music (Digital Download)". MusicNotes.com. Alfred Publishing Co. Inc. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- Reddy, Deepika (1995-06-23). "Jackson's latest lives up to his character". The Daily Collegian. Archived from the original on 2001-02-26. Retrieved 2010-04-08.
- Hunter, James (1995-08-10). "Michael Jackson HIStory". Rolling Stone.
- Pareles, Jon (1995-06-18). "Pop View; Michael Jackson Is Angry, Understand?". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-09-18.
- "allmusic ((( Got to be There > Charts & Awards > Billboard Singles )))". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2010-04-08.
- *George, Nelson (2004). Michael Jackson: The Ultimate Collection booklet p, 48. Sony BMG.
- Vogel, Joseph (2019). Man in the Music. Knopf Doubleday. p. 312. ISBN 9780525566588.
- Lecocq, Richard; Allard, François (October 23, 2018). Michael Jackson All The Songs: The Story Behind Every Track. Cassell. p. 464. ISBN 978-1788400572.