This Week in Libraries
|This Week in Libraries|
The TWIL logo
|Hosted by||Erik Boekesteijn|
|Updates||Fortnightly (series 4) Weekly (series 1-3)|
|Original release||30 March 2010– 2 October 2014|
This Week in Libraries, casually referred to as TWIL, is an English language video podcast series created and produced by Jaap van de Geer and Erik Boekesteijn in the Netherlands. Featuring Erik Boekesteijn as host, and Jaap van de Geer as co-host and cameraman the library themed talk show is filmed in the studio of the Openbare Bibliotheek Amsterdam (OBA) and also on location. Episodes feature interviews with guests working in libraries, cultural institutions and associated industries and highlight innovative service trends including event programming, digitization, library building design, collection development, ebooks, technology applications, online services and library marketing.
The first episode aired on March 13, 2010 followed by series two (2011) and series three (2012) with season four re-launching on March 19, 2013 in a fortnightly format. During the first season, in episode 5, Dutch journalist Wendy de Graaf from Bibliotheekblad turned the tables on the show's creators and interviewed them about the motivation for a global program about libraries and their plans for future episodes. Although not syndicated, the program is endorsed and promoted widely by library bloggers, and some library associations around the world.
The fifth and final season screened in 2014 with the final episode 121 featuring Martin Berendse the Chief Executive of the Amsterdam Public Library.
The show has featured many high-profile guests and organizations, including David Weinberger (episode #83), Father Roderick Vonhögen (episode #3), Stuart Hamilton from International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (episode #15), Aubéry Escande from The European Library (episode #79), Justo Hidalgo (episode #77), Johan Oomen from the Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision (episode #71), Peter Gorgels (episode #94) from the Rijksmuseum, Dan Cohen (episode #98) Executive Director of the Digital Public Library of America(DPLA), author Richard Watson (episode #108) and futurist Thomas Frey (episode #109).
Episodes can be viewed via the This Week in Libraries website. Commencing with episode 77 some episodes are also available as an audio download from Apple's iTunes Store. In June 2013 Library Journal announced a partnership with Erik Boekesteijn and Jaap van de Geer to publish monthly highlights from This Week in Libraries episodes.
This Week in Libraries makes extensive use of social media to engage a global library community watching the show and discussing the topics raised in episodes. The show has a discussion group in LinkedIn, and presences on Twitter, Flickr and Vimeo as well as an email newsletter for subscribers.
Each series of This Week in Libraries has featured sponsors. In the hiatus between series two and three, TWIL fans campaigned to raise awareness and crowdfunding for series three via a HelpTWIL campaign.
- "This Week in Libraries". Shanachie Media. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- Zeeman, Deane; Rebecca Jones; Jane Dysart (June 2011). "Assessing Innovation in Corporate and Government Libraries". Computers in Libraries. 31 (5). Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "This Week in Libraries #1: Bart Drenth". Shanachie Media. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "TWIL Season 4 announcement". This Week in Libraries. Shanachie Media. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "This Week in Libraries #5: Wendy de Graaff (journalist)". Shanachie Media. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- King, David Lee. "This Week in Libraries: Video Killed the Blog Star". David Lee King (blog). Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "This Week In Libraries". Bilingual Librarian (blog). Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "Kirjastokaista". Libraries.fi - Finnish library services. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "The European Library on 'This Week in Libraries'". Europeana Libraries. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "This Week in Libraries". Biblionline.ch ausflüge in die digitale bibliothekslandschaft schweiz. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "TWIL #121: Martin Berendse (Chief Executive Amsterdam Public Library)". Vimeo. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- "TWIL #108: Richard Watson (The Bookends Scenarios)". Vimeo. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- "TWIL #109: Thomas Frey (Futurist DaVinci Institute)". Vimeo. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- Boekesteijn, Erik; Jaap van de Geer (11 June 2013). "This Week in Libraries: Dan Cohen, Director of the Digital Public Library of America". Library Journal. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "This Week in Libraries (Discussion Group)". LinkedIn. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "Shanachie Media (twilibs)". Twitter. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "This Week in Libraries". Flickr. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "This Week in Libraries". Vimeo. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- Holmquist, Jan (14 October 2012). "Unglue: Giving books to the world by crowd funding". Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "Episode Twenty-Two: Jan Holmquist". Circulating Ideas : The Librarian Interview Podcast. 6 February 2013. Retrieved 20 March 2013.