This is why you're fat
This article needs to be updated.(January 2018)
|Owner||Richard Blakeley and Jessica Amason|
|Created by||Various human beings|
This is why you're fat is a website featuring submitted photos of over-the-top and extremely indulgent food creations. The website of captioned pictures is subtitled "where dreams become heart attacks", and it has been covered by newspapers in the United States, Canada, and Germany. The website appears to be defunct as it hasn't been updated since June 2015.
It was co-created by Richard Blakeley, Video Editor for Gawker Media, and Jessica Amason, Viral Media Editor for BuzzFeed. In just over a month since its inception the website had an "astonishing" 10 million page views and its creators are "in talks to create a book version and exploring TV development deals."
Content of website
The items featured on the thisiswhyyourefat.com website have been described as "culinary Frankensteins" and "items with no nutritional value." They have included a 30 kg rice cereal square and other culinary creations with names like "The Homewrecker" (a deep-fried, mega hot dog with the works) and Meat Cake (a three-layer meatloaf patisserie iced with mashed potatoes and ketchup). Highlights of the website also include the "30,000 Calorie Sandwich" made of minced beef, bacon, corn dogs, ham, pastrami, roast beef, bratwurst, Braunschweiger, turkey, fried mushrooms, with onion rings and five varieties of cheese, served on white bread, and the Mega Mel Burger made from 1½ pounds of beef, 1 pound of bacon, a quarter pound of cheese and "fixin's", as well as traditional ethnic dishes like fried chicken skin (gribenes), khachapuri, poutine, Welsh rarebit, and lechon kawali.
The dishes pictured caused one writer to be nauseated and to wonder, "How bad could a plate of fried chicken skin be? All the flavor of fried chicken, without the pesky chicken. (Squeal of delight) Is that Spam?!'" The fat content and health considerations are a concern; as one humor columnist remarked, "you probably shouldn't eat an Oreo with more than 30 layers of double-stuff cream precariously piled between its two chocolate wafers. Probably."
In March 2009, it was announced that This Is Why You're Fat signed a book deal with HarperCollins' experimental imprint HarperStudio. The deal, though not public, was rumored to be in the six figure range. Rumors also swirled that Blakeley and Amason are in talks for a potential television show.
- Bacon explosion
- Bacon mania
- Chicken fried bacon
- Chocolate covered bacon
- Epic Meal Time
- List of websites about food and drink
- "Such gluttonous cravings can apparently be satisfied visually, too: One of the most popular new Web sites of the last month is Thisiswhyyourefat.com, a blog dedicated to photos of outrageously fatty, sodium-drenched, artery-clogging culinary creations." Kesner, Julian (2009-03-31). "Thisiswhyyourefat.com lives on the fat of the land". New York Daily News. Retrieved 2009-04-07.
- "Revenons sur un gros truc: l'Amérique est obèse, c'est bien connu, et sa surcharge pondérale galopante est certainement liée à un goût prononcé pour la mauvaise bouffe. C'est du moins ce qu'on dit et ce que l'on peut désormais affirmer haut et fort, preuves à l'appui, en se rendant sur le site «This is why you're fat» (www.thisiswhyyourefat.com). Traduction libre: voilà pourquoi vous êtes gros." Deglise, Fabien (2009-03-21). "L'art de s'embourber dans sa propre crème". Le Devoir.com. Retrieved 2009-04-07.
- "Eklig, weil total übertrieben und mords-ungesund." "Was Fast-Food-Fans so alles verdrücken – fetter geht's nicht". Bild. 2009-03-20. Retrieved 2009-04-07.
- "I'm not sure I've ever felt horror and hunger at the same time. But visit www.thisiswhyyourefat.com, and there you have it." Thompson, Jana (2009-04-07). "Keep 'heinous' fats to 1 serving a century". Northwest Herald. Retrieved 2009-04-07.
- "Huffington Post Blogger Bio"Amason, Jessica (2009-09-30). "Huffington Post Blogger Bio". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2009-10-26.
- "This Is Why You're Fat Gets A Book Deal""This Is Why You're Fat Gets A Book Deal". Eat Me Daily. 2009-03-20. Retrieved 2009-10-26.