The dam's reservoir
|Official name||Φράγμα Θησαυρού|
|Construction cost||GRDΔρχ240 billion|
|Owner(s)||Public Power Corporation of Greece|
|Dam and spillways|
|Type of dam||Embankment, rock-fill clay-core|
|Height||172 m (564 ft)|
|Length||480 m (1,570 ft)|
|Elevation at crest||390 m (1,280 ft)|
|Dam volume||12,000,000 m3 (16,000,000 cu yd)|
|Spillway type||Controlled, three chutes|
|Spillway capacity||7,500 m3/s (260,000 cu ft/s)|
|Total capacity||705,000,000 m3 (572,000 acre⋅ft)|
|Active capacity||565,000,000 m3 (458,000 acre⋅ft)|
|Catchment area||3,693 km2 (1,426 sq mi)|
|Surface area||18 km2 (7 sq mi)|
|Turbines||3 x 128 MW (172,000 hp) MW reversible Francis-type|
|Installed capacity||384 MW (515,000 hp)|
|Annual generation||440 GWh (1,600 TJ)|
The Thisavros Dam (Greek: Φράγμα Θησαυρού) is a rock-fill dam on the Nestos River in the regional unit of Drama in the northeastern portion of Greece. it is 21 kilometres (13 mi) north of Nikiforos and 21 kilometres (13 mi) northeast of the town of Drama. The 172-metre (564 ft) high dam is the tallest in Greece. It was constructed between 1986 and 1996. The purpose of the dam is irrigation and hydroelectric power production. Its reservoirs helps irrigate 80,937 hectares (200,000 acres) and its power station has an installed capacity of 384 megawatts (515,000 hp). The power station is a pumped-storage type which allows it to not only generate power but the turbines can reverse and pump water back into the reservoir. Power generation occurs during periods of high demand and pumping during those of low demand such as at night.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Thisavros.|
- "List of Major Greek Dams" (in Greek). Greek Commission on Large Dams. Retrieved 25 February 2012.
- Transboundary water resources management : institutional and engineering approaches; proceedings of the NATO Advanced Study Institute "Transboundary Water Resources Management: Technical and Institutional Issues" held on Skopelos Island, Greece, May 15 - 25, 1994. Berlin: Springer. 1996. p. 399. ISBN 3-540-60714-5.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- "Pumped-Storage Plants in Europe - other countries". IndustCards. Retrieved 25 February 2012.
- "Greek Large Dams" (in Greek). Greek Commission on Large Dams. Retrieved 25 February 2012.
- Charalampos, Skoulikaris; Monget Jean-Marie; Ganoulis Jacques. "Climate Change Impacts on Dam Projects in Transboundary River Basins. The Case of The Mesta/Nestos River Basin, Greece" (PDF). INWeb. Retrieved 25 February 2012.
- Anastassopoulos, K.; Ch. Economidi. "Treatment of big landslides affecting construction of Thissavros hydroelectric project" (PDF). Chinese National Committee on Large Dams. Retrieved 25 February 2012.