This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (January 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
March 17, 1519
|Died||July 23, 1595 (aged 76)|
Thoinot Arbeau is the anagrammatic pen name of French cleric Jehan Tabourot (March 17, 1519 – July 23, 1595). Tabourot is most famous for his Orchésographie, a study of late sixteenth-century French Renaissance social dance. He was born in Dijon and died in Langres.
Orchésographie and other work
Orchésographie, first published in Langres, 1589, provides information on social ballroom behaviour and on the interaction of musicians and dancers. It is available online in facsimile and in plain text. There is an English translation by Mary Stewart Evans, edited by Julia Sutton, in print with Dover Publications. It contains numerous woodcuts of dancers and musicians and includes many dance tabulations in which extensive instructions for the steps are lined up next to the musical notes, a significant innovation in dance notation at that time.
He also published on astronomy: Compot et Manuel Kalendrier, par lequel toutes personnes peuvent facilement apprendre et sçavoir le cours du Soleil et de la Lune et semblablement les festes fixes et mobiles que l’on doit célébrer en l’Eglise, suyvant la correction ordonné par notre Saint Pére Grégoire XIII [...Calendar, by which all people can easily learn and know the course of the Sun and of the Moon and similarly, the festivals with fixed and moveable dates which one celebrates in Church, according to the correction ordained by our Father Saint Gregory XIII], Langres: Jehan des Preyz, 1582, (cited in Mémoires de l'Académie des sciences, arts et belles-lettres de Dijon, I (Dijon: Académie de Dijon, 1924), 107).
- The title page's "Extraict du priuilege" is dated "Novembre 1588".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Thoinot Arbeau.|
- Works by or about Thoinot Arbeau at Internet Archive
- Orchésographie ‹See Tfd›(in French)
- Scans of the woodcuts
- Orchesographie From the Collections at the Library of Congress
- Arbeau free sheet music including Pavanne
- Free scores by Thoinot Arbeau at the International Music Score Library Project (IMSLP)
- Free scores by Thoinot Arbeau in the Choral Public Domain Library (ChoralWiki)
- Free scores Mutopia Project
- Orchesographie. Et traicte en forme de dialogve, par leqvel tovtes personnes pevvent facilement apprendre & practiquer l'honneste exercice des dances. Par Thoinot Arbeau demeurant à Lengres. Lengres, Imprimé par Iehan des Preyz, 1589. From the Rare Book and Special Collections Division at the Library of Congress