This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Bierdz in 2016
|Born||March 25, 1962|
Kenosha, Wisconsin, U.S.
He appeared on The Young and the Restless, from 1986 to 1989, returning for a "dream sequence" in 2004, and in a surprising twist, returned to the role in May 2009, 2010 and 2011. He was also a recurring guest star on Melrose Place as Sarah's abusive boyfriend, Hank. Other TV credits include guest starred twice on Murder, She Wrote (1994, 1995), Matlock (1993), Robin's Hoods (1994) and Highway to Heaven (1986), Win, Lose or Draw (1989) and The New Hollywood Squares (1988, 1989). Bierdz played Bobby Burton on the web series Old Dogs New Tricks in 2012 and 2013.
Thom's ancestry is Polish on his father's side and Italian on his mother's side. He left The Young and the Restless in July 1989 to pursue film roles.
His youngest brother Troy, who had been living with him in Los Angeles, returned to Wisconsin. Shortly thereafter, in July 1989, Troy murdered their mother with a baseball bat and is currently serving a sentence of 50 years without the possibility of parole in a Wisconsin prison. In May 2000, his brother Craig committed suicide. He has one sister. In 2018 Bierdz appeared in and narrated an episode of Evil Lives Here on the Investigation Discovery (ID) Network, "The Soap Star's Secret", based on his memoir, Forgiving Troy. In the show he recounts his brother Troy's life and his strange behavior leading up to his mother's murder.
Bierdz is openly gay. After acting, Bierdz has devoted most of his life to painting. In 2005, he received the 2005 Out Magazine Best Emerging Artist of Los Angeles for painting pictures of cows. He is also the recipient of the Key to the Light Award from The Thalians. Thom has also written a memoir entitled "Forgiving Troy".
In September 2009, The Human Rights Campaign at a black tie gala themed "Speak Your Truth" presented Thom with their Visibility Award for his continued contributions to charity work for human rights through his visual art, acting and writing.
- Bierdz, T. (2009). Forgiving Troy: A True Story of Murder, Mental Illness and Recovery. Thom Bierdz. ISBN 978-1-61539-485-2. Retrieved 2018-02-28.
- Bierdz, Thom (2018). Young, Gay & Restless: My Scandalous On-Screen & Off-Screen Sexual Liberations. Thom Bierdz. ISBN 978-1732732018.
- Bierdz, Thom (2018). Anonymous True Accounts: How Men REALLY Feel About Being Sexually Assaulted. Thom Bierdz. ISBN 9781732732056.
- Bierdz, Thom (2019). They Want To Help Us: Phenomenal True-Life Accounts Of The Unexplainable: 100 Miraculous Spirit Encounters. Thom Bierdz. ISBN 9781732732070.
- "Soap Star Thom Bierdz Opens Up About Unspeakable Family Tragedy". 2012-05-16. Retrieved 2018-02-28.
- Davenport, Misha (2006-09-22). "Bierdz's world spins from order to chaos and back". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved 2007-03-19.